Help vibrate switch broke

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iphonenub, Apr 15, 2010.

1. iphonenub macrumors regular

A piece of black plastic next to the bezel broke off and fell in and now my phone is stuck in vibrate what do I do? (iPhone 3g)

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Is it under warranty? If so, take it to an Apple Store. If not, take it to an Apple Store anyway and see what they can do. :)

3. iphonenub thread starter macrumors regular

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

They are under no obligation to replace/repair an OOW phone. Go plead your case politely at the store and see what they can do.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've read on these forums that people have gotten it fixed oow. I am not sure that is an option really, but it's worth a shot.

6. iphonenub thread starter macrumors regular

The plastic is right behind the switch do you think tweezers would be a good idea? How much is a 3gs without discount? Sorry for the questions I just love my phone and want to see all the options

7. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

`
    Depends on how nice you are to the person who checks on it and if they are in a good mood. :)

Exactly. My mom just took her 2yr old Macbook that was out of warranty and they replaced the hard drive and loaded OS X for her anyway. I've also gotten a cracked screen replaced (I know, this was on tough sell) but they did it for me at the time. :)

I'd ask nicely to see what they can do for you and usually Apple folks are great and will help if they can.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you cannot get it replaced or fixed for free and do not wish to drop $200 on an out-of-warranty replacement, there may be a jailbreak solution that will replace this functionality.

9. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Can you post a picture what it looks like? I can understand if the vibrate switch just fell off on it's own like an older iPhone of mine. I just took it to Apple and they did an exchange for a refurbished. This must havve happened because you dropped it or maybe it hit something to cause the switch to go inside the phone or something? Most likely they won't replace it since this damage was caused by you it seems. Maybe they'll take off the case for you to pull the switch back. I'm sure the techs got tools there for that in store.

Hope all works out :)

10. iphonenub thread starter macrumors regular

Alright I maneged to get the switch working again but whenever my phone is on vibrate there is a gap inbetween the orange dot and the bezel. The plastic casing that was there is inside the phone somewhere...Do you think that little piece can get anywhere/cause damage? I wish I knew how this happened I have dropped the phone only 2 times and that was in the first year and even then it was never more than a 2 foot drop.