Help! Video tutorial: Captured in PC > Made on iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gusanitoverde, Apr 6, 2009.

1. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

gusanitoverde

I am making a video for a company. This is a video that requires screen capture in a PC. But then, I am using iMovie to edit and produce the final video.

I have two questions:

1. I need a software recommendation for video capture for PC that will capture nice full screen video. I am testing CamStudio, and it only seems to record in AVI format.

2. When I transferred a test video in .AVI it to my MacBook Pro, Quicktime still played it as well as the PC did. No loss of quality. However, when the video was transferred to iMovie, it looked so blurry that it was totally unusable.

What is wrong? I've seen this happening before even in Adobe Premier. Seems that Movie editing softwares don't like Screen Captures?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Or the codec of the .avi. AVI is only the header, the codec is the important stuff. Open the .avi in QT and use the Information HUD to look at its details.

iMovie down/up converts your .avi during import according to your project/sequence settings.

If the video is for example 1024x768, and you use the DV PAL/NTSC preset, it converts the video to 720x576 (PAL) or 640x480 (NTSC).
    If you use some HD setting it converts it to 1280x720p, 1440x1080p or 1920x1080i I think.

But maybe I'm wrong and iMovie behaves differently than FCP or Avid or other editing software.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

This guy is totally right. I use FCP and I have to import it as HD. But there is an option in my screen capture (mac) program to zoom in and cut it right there. See, if there's an option on yours too. Else, it'll really be downgraded. I made a tutorial, and I had to zoom in constantly, watch it and you get the picture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLoJEngOcBM&feature=channel_page

Oh, and I changed the resolution so low as possible, so it normally is 1920x1200. Now it was something like 800x600.