Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I got a new Samsung TV with Airplay 2. I was so excited to be able to use Airplay/Screen Mirror but I'm running into a problem.

When I try to stream videos using the TV app on my iPad, I get the following error:

"This video is in a format that can't be streamed to this TV."

I've tried using the Screen Mirror option and got this message.

I also tried playing the video, then selecting the icon in the bottom, right corner (looks like a square with a triangle over it) and selecting my TV under "Speakers & TVs". A checkmark appears next to my TV in the list. Then on my TV itself, it says:

"Airplay, Wirelessly share content from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Choose this TV [name of my TV]. Make sure your Mac or iOS device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as this TV."

Nothing happens after that.

After I connect to my TV, it also lists "Airplay" underneath my TV name on my iPad. I try tapping on that, and again, nothing happens.

I am super bummed that this isn't working, especially since I spent a lot of time prepping the videos to sync to my iPad.

How can I fix this?

---

Edit: I've done some more research found this -

"Actually, it's officially stated that MP4 is supported by Samsung TV. However, the compressed way for MP4 video can be different and complicated. Samsung TV can only recognize MP4 file with H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec and AAC audio codec. If your MP4 file is not compressed in this way, it can't be opened or played smoothly with your Samsung TV."

I believe my codecs are correct (see screenshot attached). Does this look right?

Attachments

• codec.png
    codec.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 984
Last edited:

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Look and see if your TV can play same video format as the video you’re trying to airplay to TV

Thanks. This is what I found online:

"Actually, it's officially stated that MP4 is supported by Samsung TV. However, the compressed way for MP4 video can be different and complicated. Samsung TV can only recognize MP4 file with H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video codec and AAC audio codec. If your MP4 file is not compressed in this way, it can't be opened or played smoothly with your Samsung TV."

I believe my codecs are all correct, though. I am attaching a screenshot. Do you know anything about codecs?

Attachments

• codec.png
    codec.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 318

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Something I've had a lot of success with in the past is changing the file extension.
Each device has a list of file extensions it will recognise- not formats, and there are several different file extensions for MPEG. Some machines tend to either be a bit picky or have a limited list, perhaps for reasons of copyright or something.
For example the .mp4 but there's also .m4a and .mpeg
They are all MPEG and they can both be encoded the same way but if the extension isn't on the list, it won't play it.
It's the same with AAC which is actually Apple .mp3 extension but a lot of devices won't play it because they have to pay something to Apple.
Can you check for model to see if the exact name of extensions are on the list or not? Take account of upper and lower case too.
If it's something as simple as that- and it may well be- then just changing the extension should allow them to play. Your mac should pick it up just the same in either case.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Thank you. I tried changing the file extension from .m4v to .mp4 and .MP4 but the TV still says the format is not compatible.

It was a good idea and I was sure it would work, but thanks anyway.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Does the TV have an option for playing from another connected device, such as a USB stick? If so can you play from there?

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
Thank you. I tried changing the file extension from .m4v to .mp4 and .MP4 but the TV still says the format is not compatible.

It was a good idea and I was sure it would work, but thanks anyway.
Did you solve this issue. I'm experiencing the same thing with a new Samsung TV with Airplay 2. I can send the same video via the Apple TV, but not direct to the TV itself.
I used Handbrake to encode a DVD to MP4 and when that didn't work, tried .MOV. No luck at all.

I found this link referring to 2018 TVs (there's a chance this covers formats supported by TVs with AirPlay 2)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.