HELP!! Virus on my first Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SrfRidr333, Jul 13, 2008.

1. SrfRidr333 macrumors newbie

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I have somehow attracted a virus on my new Mac Air. At this time, It mainly effecting Safari and a few of the wireless networks I use. While using safari, I can not do any task without constantly have to press the 'Renew DHCP Lease' button in advanced network settings.
    I am also starting to see inconsistencies in other places as well.
    I am not too technically savvy, but ok. Any suggestions are much welcome!!!
    Thank you!
    :confused::mad::eek:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Relax! There are no viruses on any Mac at this time. Describe in detail the symptoms you're having and we'll help you figure it out. Also, it's a good idea to make the title of your thread something more directly related to your problem, so you'll attract people with knowledge and experience in that particular area. You can Edit your post and change the thread title to something more appropriate.

3. SrfRidr333 thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically, whenever I use one or two particular free wi-fi locations (that I like), I can not use safari at all without continuously turning on and off my wireless connection or press the Renew DHCP Lease button.
    I am also at times being redirected to other websites than the ones I select. (minor problem of the two)

Any suggestion?

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Could be the free hotspots writing permanent DNS entries every time you connect to a different one. If the DNS doesn't get refreshed with each new connection, then undeleted old ones will continue to hold sway over the connection (particularly if they're first in order), slowing down everything you do.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have a wi-fi connection, why are you turning it off or renewing your DHCP Lease? When it connects to a network, are you not able to access the web?

On the second issue, can you give an example of a link you click that sends you somewhere other than where you expected to go? It could be a "split-link" which is designed to do just that. Give an example and I'll see if I get the same results. It may have nothing to do with your setup.

6. SrfRidr333 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am set up here now. Logged on to the connection. However with ever command or task I try to do, Safari will not complete it. I talking simple task --open new website, send email, refresh page, pressing the quote button on MacRumors to reply, etc..... every simple task, the "blue meter" at the top of safari (behind the web address) get hung up and will not fully perform task.
    The only solution I have found to get around this, is to reconnect to the wireless connection.

7. SrfRidr333 thread starter macrumors newbie

However, when I use other wireless connections, I do not have this problem.
    That is the weird part. Only while I am here at Paneras. I have used this location for the past 6 months with no problem until last week.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I get that symptom sometimes (more frequently in the past week) on MR, but if I wait 30 seconds to a minute or more, the page finally finishes loading. I don't get that on every website... only MR. You might try refreshing and waiting to see if it completes. Unless you have a very weak signal to your Wi-Fi connection, you shouldn't have to repeatedly reconnect it. If you have more than one Wi-Fi network available, try another one. You can also try resetting Safari and see if that helps.

What about the second issue? Do you have an example I can try for you?

9. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah I get the same problem. Don't reset the wireless though....if you don't want to wait, just quit Safari and restart it. It really is annoying and I mostly have that on Macrumors and sometimes Facebook.

10. SrfRidr333 thread starter macrumors newbie

First issue:
    This happens on every website I use. Gmail, Craigslist, Apple, Yahoo, MR, etc. And with every single task I do-- Sending email, opening inbox, opening sent box in gmail, refreshing page, opening new webpages, navigating within a website, it suck!!!!!!!

Second issue:
    No, when it has gone crazy the time or two, I just shut down the window and start over. One website it happened on was www.watch-movies.net

11. SrfRidr333 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is weird is that it is only this location. When I try any other location, it works fine. And it is not website specific, its every website I visit.

I have no idea what the deal is.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Which link on that page sends you somewhere you don't want to go?

By the way, to change your thread title to something more appropriate like "Wi-Fi connection problems", you can click this link, then double-click the blank area to the right of the thread title (don't double-click the title), then change the title.

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

That long delay in searching for a website and then finally loading after a long period really sounds like DNS, honestly. I've screwed myself with that a number of times as I have to manually set DNS for some client sites and forget to delete them after I'm done. Then I wonder why Teh Intertubes™ have slowed to a crawl...

For the OP, go to System Preferences>Network. With the Airport connection highlighted, click Advanced, then click on DNS. Post a screen shot of that window.

Attached Files:

14. SrfRidr333 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, I'm there,
    now for somereason my command/shift/4 command is not working......... GRRRR!
    how else can I do a screen shot?

15. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Try Cmd-Shift-3, that will do the entire screen.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Cmd-Shift 3 = Capture the screen to a file
    Cmd Ctrl Shift 3 = Capture the screen to the clipboard
    Cmd-Shift 4 = Select an area to be captured to a file
    Cmd Ctrl Shift 4 = Select an area to be captured to the clipboard
    Cmd-Shift 4, then press Space = Capture entire window

17. SrfRidr333 thread starter macrumors newbie

Another problem I just noticed. Now my battery meter is not working correctly. It is not giving the accurate information. I have been pluged in for an hour and it is still only showing 10 minutes left on the battery. This the same thing it said when I sat down. It has not moved

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

We're happy to help you work through these issues. Let's take them one at a time, shall we? :) Did you get the screen shot?

19. SrfRidr333 thread starter macrumors newbie

None of them are working. I tried all several times.
    This why I think I have a virus...... I am noticing more and more things not working correctly.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's impossible for you to have a virus. There are no viruses in existence that run on a Mac. Just because something isn't working as expected, doesn't mean there's a virus. There are logical explanations for everything that's happening. You just have to be patient enough to take each problem and find the solutions.

21. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Once again, you don't have a virus.

Finder should be relaunched, PRAM may need to be reset.

For relaunching Finder, Cmd-Option-Escape. This brings up the Force Quit menu, select Finder and click Relaunch.

To reset PRAM:

Attached Files:

22. SrfRidr333 thread starter macrumors newbie

DNS Servers:

Nothing in search domains box

23. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

OK. Are they greyed out (can you select them)? What's your IP address?

24. SrfRidr333 thread starter macrumors newbie

grey out. can not select them.
    how do i find my IP address?

25. SrfRidr333 thread starter macrumors newbie

No problem. Thanks for you help so far!!!!!!
    Ps.... just noticed my volume controls are not working either.
    This is getting to be a mess.