Help virus question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tontin, Apr 9, 2009.

1. tontin macrumors newbie

Hi.
    so i know that macs are mostly immune to viruses and that it cant affect the computer, but i was just wondering if you guys heard of "rememberthis.rar" (sorry for putting exe before)ive researched it and learned it only works on the windows operating system and have been hearing its a trojan/worm, not really sure, i received it through an email and stupidly opened it thinking it was from an old friend. so here are my questions:
    1) have u heard anything bout this and if it will affect a mac.
    2) is there any way to make sure im not affected.(programs to install, cleanup runs, etc)
    3) since it was passed through an email, would my email be in someway harmed or would the virus be passed on to my contacts as this is the normal way its passed on in windows, etc?

Things ive done:
    ive located the files and deleted them
    i went to disk utilities and did a repair disk
    i updated all mac updates

*UPDATE*
    ran macscan and it found no spyware files
    deleted the email and the .scr and .exe files created from the .rar as well as the .rar
    wondering if the email can be spammed to my contacts unknowingly as this is the way it was transferred to me.
    any other tips to be safe?

thanks for all your help

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Your safe.
    .exe files don't run on mac and if it is a trojan that is made to fool macusers than you can either

invest in macscan
    or download free http://www.iantivirus.com/

3. tontin thread starter macrumors newbie

oh woops hah it was a .rar file which i opened =/
    which chnaged to a scr file. which ive never even heard of.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

before i answer your questions...

• please search through the threads, there are HUNDREDS of threads on viruses, it takes much less time to read then to wait for replies.

• the macintosh operating system CANNOT run/execute/load/take advantage of ANY windows program/file/registry value/anything!! PERIOD. if you put a windows .exe file on a mac and run it, NOTHING WILL HAPPEN!! thats because they are not compatible.

ok so to answer the questions :)

1) havent heard anything about it, but i guarantee you it will not effect your mac
    2) your not infected.. trust me
    3) its a .exe file, so it cant execute at all - if you forward the email to other PC users then they will have a problem, but you wont.

just be sure to delete the email (both from the inbox and the trash in mail) and your fine.

any other questions??

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

a .scr file is a screen saver.

6. tontin thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks dofot9.

uhm even if its a rar file which opened to a exe and scr file im fine?

and uhm theres no way the email would be sent to my contacts unless i manually send them?

thanks for the help so far guys. much appreciated.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh wow its a .scr file!! you didnt say that. its a screen saver - i donno if they can be viruses.. but yes, that COULD potentially harm your system. delete it ASAP

8. tontin thread starter macrumors newbie

hi so ive deleted all teh files associated with the rar, such as the exe and the scr and the rar itself as well as the email.

ive also run the macscan recommended and it didnt detect any spyware files.

and can someone please clarify if i could potentially pass this virus on unknowingly or not since no ones really given me a clear answer on that yet.
    also other input of what i should do to make sure im not harmed would also be appreciated.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if you have deleted it and it cannot find any traces then you will be fine.

mail will not send any attachments unless you physically do it yourself, so your fine in that regard aswell :)