Help: VMWare Fusion Extension Settings

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abnospam, Apr 27, 2010.

1. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

So I have noticed you can auto-launch a Windows VM on certain extensions on your Mac. I can not find out how to control this, however. For example, I don't want text files opening in notepad, but notepad is listed in the Open-With menu. I also want to be able to double click a .vsd file for visio or .mpp file for MS Project and have VMWare launch the right app.

Does anyone know how to do this?

2. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

No expert here, but VMware installed itself so that the mac os knows what applications should be opened with what OS, for example, clicking on a mpp file from Finder/Pathfinder will open the appropriate VM, and launch ms project.

To change which program opens what, use finder/pathfinder by right mousing the file and select open with, then select the appropriate app (Vmware apps will be listed here as well), but things get icky after that, like if you want to permanently change the extension from a default OSX app to a VMware/windows app.

I have not found an option to show all windows apps in finder, via VMware tools. But I think Parallels had that option...
    good luck!
    coocoo

3. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

SOLVED.

I had to reboot the VM after installation of MS Project. Now it takes and associates correctly.