Help w/ 1440 x 900 ext display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pieman02, Jun 27, 2007.

1. pieman02 macrumors regular

I love my new 2.4 MBP and everything, but so far I have been very frustrated trying to get the external display to work properly...I connect my 19" widescreen to my 13" macbook, and no problem my display is at 1440 x 900.

Now, I connect my MBP to the 19" display, and it looks kinda goofy, so I go into system prefs and change the res to 1440 x 900, and this changes the resolution but to 1152 x 864 on the actual display...

So the real problem is I select 1440 x 900 on the Mac, and the display is displaying 1152 x 864...and it sucks :confused:

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Details.... ;) display brand and model, interface (DVI, HDMI, VGA, etc).

3. pieman02 thread starter macrumors regular

I am connected with the DVI to VGA adapter, its a Proview (dunno about the model), this happens both clamshell and extended desktop. I am just confused because how would selecting 1440 x 900 actually provide a 1152 x 864 display?

4. Muggsy macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

Let's unearth this post!
    I have almost the same issue and really need this to work... to work.

My MBP is connected via a Thunderbolt - VGA adapter to a monitor used without problems on a PC in 1440x900, which is I think the optimal resolution of the screen (funnily enough, selecting "Best for display" in the Mac shows a crazy 800x600...)
    I have a long list of resolutions proposed by the Mac, from where 1440x900 is simply absent.

How do I make it work???
    Thanks a lot!
    M.
    PS For people having the original issue, it may simply be that the monitor's optimal setting is a lower resolution.
    :):):):):)

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I think using dvi instead of VGA would fix this issue. What is probably happening is that it isn't detecting all the aspects of the display properly and is outputting it wrong. Switchresx might also help.

6. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Try downloading the free version of SwitchRes X (here) and setting it manually to your desired resolution.

7. Muggsy macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot guys SwitchRes X does the job perfectly!

Do you know by any chance a (free) version that could as well help me adjust the brightness of the screen?

As I use the screen with another computer I can't change the brightness and would like to do it via a software.
    M.
    :):):):):)