Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardsfan62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Hi, I'll be video recording an interview with a small group of people (about three or four) with my Sony DCR-TRV70. The group will be indoors sitting in a semi-circle. I'd like to get better audio with my recording than is possible with the on-camera mic without spending too much $$$. Any recommendations on the best way to do this? This is strictly an amatuer production. Thanks!

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
cardsfan62 said:
Hi, I'll be video recording an interview with a small group of people (about three or four) with my Sony DCR-TRV70. The group will be indoors sitting in a semi-circle. I'd like to get better audio with my recording than is possible with the on-camera mic without spending too much $$$. Any recommendations on the best way to do this? This is strictly an amatuer production. Thanks!
Best case? Borrow a handful of lapel mics and some multitrack recording equipment. :)

Personally, I have a four-channel mixer and some unidirectional mics. I'd give each speaker their own mic and mix it down in real-time. I'd probably try to borrow a multitrack breakout box and record the mic lines into GarageBand or something so I could mix it down in post and get the best levels possible.

If neither of these are options (and I imagine they're not), a good omnidirectional mic in the middle of the group is a great solution. Run the output of the mic to the "mic in" on your camcorder and try to coach each speaker into speaking at comparable volumes.

cardsfan62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Thanks for the reply. Do you have a mic you would recommend? Maybe something under $100?

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
cardsfan62 said:
Thanks for the reply. Do you have a mic you would recommend? Maybe something under $100?
Something like this is probably ideal: Sony ECM-CS10

It would be better if it were black, but it's small enough to be a workable solution. It should work with the mic power from your camcorder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.