Help w/ Disk Utility (External HDD)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by linds15, Nov 29, 2013.

1. linds15 macrumors 6502a

yesterday i dug up a new but very rarely used external hdd to backup some of my home media. i set a lot of stuff (~400GB) to transfer over night. when i woke up it wasn't done, and the hard drive was not mounted. i erased the hdd (had no data that wasn't somewhere else) and now it still won't work. i ran a verify and repair and disk utility, says to erase and restore, done that several times trying to erase into different formats. any ideas on how to get the disk up and running again? i have no data that i need to recover so I'm okay with any methods of just getting the drive functional again

thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like you have a bad drive there, or possibly a bad enclosure or cable. Can you swap the drive to another enclosure?

3. linds15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

unfortunately no, i was hoping this was not the case and some other sort of software could fix the issue, looks like i just burned out the drive trying to transfer so much?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah... that kind of usage would not hurt a drive at all. You just had bad luck and got a defective drive. :(