Help W/ iTunes Music Sharing 1 Library, 2 Computers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dhy8386, Dec 27, 2010.

1. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

I have a very particular issue that I am trying to find the best way to manage through. I have two computers. An iMac connected wirelessly and a Hackintosh connected wired. The Hackintosh is my hometheater PC connected to my TV. My iMac is in the bedroom and is home to all my pictures and music and other stuff we share as a family.

After getting my AppleTV2, I converted all my movies and tvshows to Mv4, which are all stored on a separate media server in the closet. The iTunes on the hackintosh "houses" all the video media where I have imported all the video media on the media server but the links are all pointing to the media server - iTunes is not set to copy the media when imported. It allows me to access all of the video media on the appleTV2. In the ATV2, to access the music and photos, the family has to switch from using the Hackintosh and choose the iMac computer. This is not ideal.

The preferable option would be to have one iTunes library to manage all the media so you do not have to back out of one computer into the other. However, I have not found a good way to share just the music portion of my iTunes library from the iMac to the Hackintosh. I do not want the bedroom imac to manage all the media since its not always on and its wireless which creates hiccups on the high def video files.

I first tried mounting the iMac iTunes music folder on the network, importing the music into the Hackintosh (creating links back to imac iTunes music folder). This works but the problem is keeping it up to date after the initial import. I use Hazel and creating a script to basically watch the music folder for newly added or modified files and import those into iTunes. The problem is if I imoprt an updated file that already exists in the Library it creates a duplicate. Same problem if the music is stored on a NAS.

I have tried the trick of moving everything to the server and sharing the iTunes ITL files but this does not allow you to have both iTunes libraries open at the same time.

Love any input on how to best manage the situation. I havent seen anyone who has this particular issue where they want to keep a "portion" of their iTunes libraries in sync.

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

The only thing I could think of is iTunes home sharing, but I'm not sure if you can choose what is and isn't shared on the network...

3. dhy8386 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I ended up building a small little utility app that checks my other computers for open instances of iTunes and closes them before launching the local iTunes. This makes sharing one itunes library database very very easy.

4. m11rphy macrumors 6502

Hi would you mind sharing this ?

5. Neilyoung macrumors newbie

That scripts sounds good. If you could share that would be great!