Help w/ Keyboard Cover

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cranshinibon, Dec 2, 2014.

1. cranshinibon macrumors newbie

I am unsure if this goes here so I apologize if it doesn't. I currently have a 13.3 macbook air and have classrooms in college that have the tiny desks that pretty much only allow for the laptop and nothing else.

My problem is that I can't find a hard cover or something to place over the keys so I can place my notebook over it and write down notes I don't want to type, that prevents me from damaging the keys or pressing them down.

Can anyone help with this? I also wanted to know if anyone else knows how to prevent the audio recorder from picking up every little keystroke, regardless of how quiet i try to type, especially when I have to increase input volume to be able to hear the professor.

:apple:

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Keyboard covers can be found on Amazon and EBay.

3. cranshinibon thread starter macrumors newbie

I know what keyboard covers are... I am looking for some accessory that would be solid and go over the entire keyboard (they won't be used when covered) so I can have a place to put my notebook in the case I need to write something down.

4. motrek macrumors 68020

Just use a piece of cardboard??

5. cranshinibon thread starter macrumors newbie

If you don't have anything helpful to say then don't say anything at all. Thanks but no thanks. If you read what I said, I wanted something that would prevent keys from being pressed when I am using it

6. motrek macrumors 68020

If you think my suggestion is stupid then you're going to have to do a better job of explaining what you need.

Because I just put a thick piece of cardboard on my MacBook keyboard and it prevented any keys from being pressed.

7. Ann P macrumors 68020

Help w/ Keyboard Cover

Haha. I don't see why the OP can't use a clipboard or a binder to write on. People have to complicate things.

8. cranshinibon thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't think it was stupid, and after reading what I posted I realized it may have come off negatively and I apologize. I also wasn't sure if you were just posting a snarky response. I did actually try using cardboard, (after reading your second post) and it didn't really work well for me.

I will elaborate because I can see what you mean about being more descriptive of what I was looking for.

It's not necessary, but I figured if anyone would know, it would be existing macbook users, as I just recently got it.

The desk at school are fairly small, and my macbook air takes up just about the entire desk space. what I do is I type some notes but have a powerpoint up on the laptop that the teacher is using, and I have no place to put the notebook in order to write the stuff down that isn't on the powerpoint (I have a weird style to taking notes during lecture but it works lol)

I've tried using a binder and hard folder to place over it, but it still presses down on the keys, and I fear that too much pressure on the keyboard may break something eventually or damage the laptop.

What I wasn't sure was out there would be some sort of hard plastic or metal attachment / cover that would go over the keyboard that would allow me to write on top of it, that wouldn't press down on the keys.

I understand I could absolutely just close the laptop, but what I'm trying to resolve is the teacher quickly skimming over slides, and me being unable to finish wrting them, and have to use the powerpoint on my mac to look them up.

It may not exist, and it may be a pain in the ass, but I was just curious if anyone could help in finding what could work for this....even an app that could lock the keys on the keyboard would be fine bc I could deal with the keyboard protection in other ways.

Again, I apologize for being rude, but thank you for trying to help. Hopefully this description explains a little better what I'm looking for.

9. motrek macrumors 68020

I'm not sure how you were able to press down hard enough on cardboard to trigger keypresses but okay. Maybe I used thicker cardboard.

In any case, you should be able to get a hard plastic clipboard from any office supply store that will have basically zero flex to it if you're just writing on it. You should be able to remove the clip part of the clipboard without much trouble if you don't want it. Then you'll just have a very hard plastic square, which sounds like what you want.

10. cranshinibon thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrighty, I'll give that a try. I thought there could have maybe been one out there that could attach and be slid underneath like a fold-able tray, but that's a good idea and i'll give it a try.

Thanks for your help

11. motrek macrumors 68020

Not to put too fine a point on it but I doubt you will find the product you're imagining. I can't imagine there are too many people out there who want to be prevented from using their laptop keyboards.

12. cranshinibon thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i definitely see how it could be specialized lol. I am going to also check out Lockkey to see if that can help with the situation where I may write and have it press any keys.

Thanks again!