Help w/ macbook pro purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 230b, Jun 23, 2007.

1. 230b macrumors newbie

I decided that I would like to switch from a windows desktop to a mac laptop. After some research I decided that the low end macbook pro would suit my needs best. Now I am looking for some input on whether or not to wait for leopard to come out. This will be my first mac, so in essence I want to start with as close to the best as I can afford. Spending all that money, I would rather not be instantly outdated by a new version of the os - but at the same time I want my laptop now! If I buy the macbook now; will upgrading to leopard later be too harsh my system specs, or will it run smoothly?

Finally, the whole glossy vs matte screen option is troubling me. I went to the store to compare the two options. I preferred glossy, but I was still somewhat torn. I plan on using the laptop mainly in home. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. mkgm1 macrumors regular

If you need it now, go for it. Otherwise you'll always be anxious & indecisive, because the next update is always around the corner.

Leopard will run brilliantly on it, so you don't need to worry about that - Apple wouldn't release a new OS expecting everyone to instantly change their computers for it.

As for glossy/matte, there's no real consensus, but as someone who's used an excellent Vaio laptop for the last 4 years, I have to throw my support behind glossy. Don't worry if it doesn't look great in the Apple store - they don't exactly have ideal lighting conditions.

3. arielled01 macrumors member

I am in the same dilemma. What is bothering me about getting or waiting to purchase a MBP is that by the time Leopard comes out, the student discounts will be over. I'm not sure if this applies to you though. So my advice to you is that if the discount is not a matter, and your not in NEED of a Mac right now, then wait til october. However, if you do need one now I would buy one for the MBP is an extremely powerful machine with the newest upgrade. Running leopard will not be a problem (I don't think).

As for glossy or matte, I'd definitely go with Glossy. It's just a personal preference. I do not know professional point of views, if color is different on the two. Hopefully someone else can give you a better answer, lol.

Hope that helps:D

4. 230b thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be getting the student discount, but I did not know that it ended at a certain point. Thanks for the heads up, and thanks for the fast replies. So far I am feeling pretty confident getting it before leopard, with the glossy screen.

5. mkgm1 macrumors regular

The student discount (i.e. the Higher Education one you get if you're at university, or the standard one if you're in high school etc.) doesn't 'end'. I think he meant the current 'Back to School' deals Apple are having e.g. free iPod Nano & Printer, which are due to end at the end of August/beginning of September in the US I think (not 100% sure though).

In the UK it starts later, so goes on until October 7th.

Either that, or he meant he's leaving school/university by then.

6. 230b thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, sorry I was a bit confused. I thought you were referring to the higher education discount, not the freebies. Even if the higher education discount lasts forever, I'll still buy before leopard comes out.

After reading a few threads in the MBP section, I am now a bit reluctant to get the glossy screen. All I see are complaints of a yellowish tint.

7. mkgm1 macrumors regular

You have a 14-day refund/exchange period, so you should be fine regardless. Try and get them to open up the MBP there and then, before you buy it, and check for faults. That way there's no way they can argue with you.

8. arielled01 macrumors member

Sorry I wasn't aware that there were always student discounts. And yes I was referring to the Back to School Free Nano etc. deal. Sorry about that!:confused:

9. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

If I was you I would definitely buy it now. Leopard will only cost $129/£79 (I think), so, is 4 months use worth that much to you? I think it is.

Definitely get the glossy screen unless you need 100% colour accuracy, but for everything else, glossy is better.

10. mikehokie macrumors regular

Leopard is $120 not $129.

Glossy better? Not really. The matte is much better unless you are working in low light conditions constantly. The glossy can get very annoying b/c if you have a lamp on beside you or sun pearing through a window there is an obvious reflection. Trust me seen it on glossy screen laptops and it gets pretty annoying.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Where did you get that idea? Tiger is $129 right now for general users, and $69 for students. Apple seems to keep prices the same as it revises products, so I see no reason for Leopard to be cheaper.

I have to agree with you here. If you're going to be spending the money on a mbp, be smart and get the matte; it's worth it.

12. mikehokie macrumors regular

Haha my bad I was looking at something else

13. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

:D Unlinke other companies....