Help w/ Migration Assistant and my new rMB.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jefe's MacAir, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

Migrating from a mid 13' 8GB/i7/512 Air to a early 15' 256/1.3 rMB

I've tried Migration Assistant several times w/o success. My issue is it never finishes. It goes to "1 minute remaining" and never finishes.

I started Migration Assistant Tuesday evening around 11pm. I checked it at 5am and it stated "1 minute remaining". I went about my day and checked again around 2pm and still reading "1 minute remaining".

I decided to be patient and wait it out. I left it all night again and when I got up this morning it was till stating "1 minute remaining". Over 24 hours at "1 minute remaining" and over 36 hours in Migration Assistant.

Help. Not sure what to do now. Not sure why it's not finishing.

----------

Thank Steve Jobs for iCloud. iCloud stores passwords and at least I don't have to add a user name and password for all my sites. Favorites came over as well. Photos too.

2. Dayv macrumors 6502

I had problems with this, too. My Time Machine backup was corrupted (interestingly, from about the time I installed the Yosemite beta), and a computer-to-computer migration would not complete. In the end, I did a bunch of cleanup on my old computer, moved my documents to Dropbox, and set up the MB as a new computer, syncing my documents through Dropbox and my photos through iCloud. That just left my iTunes library. I deleted all the movies (I either don't care or can redownload them), and then transferred the music through a shared drive on the network. If I'd had iTunes Match turned on, I probably could have done everything through cloud services.

3. Jefe's MacAir thread starter macrumors 6502

Was able to do user settings and apps separately from data and files. Only took a few minutes and was no issue.

Gonna try data and files again tonight.