Help w/Mini DV Problem

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Tom DiDo, May 1, 2008.

1. Tom DiDo macrumors newbie

I'm having a problem playing out video from the tape. I can see it when I fast forward it in my camera but it will not play. The DV tape is Sony. I checked it with two different cameras and it didnt play both times. Can anyone help me figure out what's up and how I can get the video to play?
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Have you tried to play back the tape using the same camera that recored the tape? I'm thinking that the camera was some how out of adjustment in such a way that it is writing out of spec tapes, but perhaps that camera can read it own tapes back.

3. DrRock macrumors regular

^

I've had that problem with older cameras, particularly Hi8. I have tapes shot on other peoples' cameras that won't play on mine, but when I FF, I see the image.

I used to work in video duplication, and I saw it all the time there as well. People would bring in Hi8 tapes that would not play on our Hi8 machine. I had to have them bring in their camera and it would usually work fine. The problem was that the heads would become misaligned and record the signal just slightly off. When the tape played pack on any other camera, the head pitch difference, though only slight, would cause it not to play.

I don't know if that's the reason you're experiencing what you are with your DV cam, but it sounds very similar. If you are having trouble playing tapes shot on the camera on which they were shot, I'm not sure what the problem could be, other than a misalignment that occurred after the fact that now causes the tape to be unviewable.

Best bet is to contact Sony tech support.

4. AndySutton macrumors newbie

The tape you are playing back might be DVCAM as opposed to standard DV? As I'm sure you know, it is possible to record DVCAM to a DV tape. This would explain why you can see it in FF as its about tape rate/speed between formats.

Hope that helps?
    Andy.