Help w/ my iTouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mealzonwheelz, Oct 17, 2008.

1. mealzonwheelz macrumors newbie

I bought my itouch an hour ago, and when I turn it on, all I get is a sign of a USB Cable with an arrow pointing at the itunes symbol, and all I want to do is get to the menu. What do i do?

2. na1577 macrumors 6502a

Do what it is instructing you to do. Plug in the device to iTunes. (It cannot be used until it is synced)

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, there is no OS installed yet. Yes, other iPods don't have this, but the iPod touch needs a name that appears under the Devices tree in iTunes amongst other things.

4. mealzonwheelz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks one more quest. tho. Is Itunes supposed to recognize my Itouch once i plug it into my USB, or do I do something else? Sorry, but I'm a complete noob at this :(

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It should recognise it straight away.

What are you talking about?

1) The OS is already installed, it just has to be activated by iTunes (if it weren't installed it'd make you download it when you first connect it to iTunes, and that doesn't even make sense after paying so much money for a device like that)
    2) All iPods ask to be named when they're first connected, so that totally voids your point.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Oh really, I bought my iPod touch and iTunes was downloading the 1.1.5 firmware when I plugged it in.

What doesn't make sense? The 2.1 firmware is FREE to download for all the iPod touch 2Gs... The 1.1.5 is FREE to download for all iPod touches. It's not like iTunes is asking you to buy the software upgrade.

7. Kiwi616 macrumors newbie

When you bought your iPod it probably had 1.1.4 version on it and ask to download the newest which was 1.1.5 (free). You don't have to download anything and hence the OS is already installed on every iPod purchase. All you need to do is sync and that's all.

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU Win MO OS 7_0 like Windows XP; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.1.1 Mobile/9F007 Firefox/525.20)

It just needs to be connected to iTunes. There is no OS to install. If it downloads anything it's just a firmware update. Some of iPod's that had disk mode had to be formatted to work with OS X or Windows. I don't know if this is the case with the iPod Touch since it like the iPhone doesn't have disk mode.