Help w/removing Boot Camp Beta (& death spiral)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Meg R, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Meg R macrumors newbie

Let me start by saying I'm an Apple newbie, which explains why I had the beta boot camp... I use windows more than apple.

Here is my current situation though: I can't start the apple side of my computer. When I try the option at the start, I get the infinite death spiral. I can, however, log onto the windows (vista) side without problem. (I've had no problem for a year or so. This past week, i connected to the internet via cable vs the normal wireless I use. I suspect that was the start of the downfall?)

I've read other people have had this problem with the beta, and they've had to reinstall the OS X. The first issue is that when I bought my apple, it did not come with the OS X software (or any other).

I have, however, purchased Leopard. Now that I have it, but only have access to my windows side, how do I load Leopard? (If I just install the disk, will it take care of erasing everything on my computer, including the partition and info from the windows side?)

Is there something else I can/should do first to get onto the apple side, so that I can reset the date and erase the partition first?

cheers

2. CastrolSyntec macrumors newbie

Partition, Reboot

Installing Leopard will only erase the data on the partition you want to install it on, which is not the windows one.

When ur in windows, in the tray (bottom right) find the grey bootcamp icon. then right click on it and select "reboot in OS X"

Try that. :rolleyes:

3. Meg R thread starter macrumors newbie

Changing the option to start it in Apple mode doesnt work. I still get the spiral of death, that won't go away. (Same as if I use the option button, then select to start the computer on the OS X side vs the windows side.) I aslo tried to start it as the default, holding the shift key, and hoping I could get to the safe mode. Nope, still the spiral of death...

Any other thoughts?

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Since you have purchased the Leopard retail disk apparently, you have two options to start up from it in your situation. In both cases, insert the Leopard installer disk in your DVD drive and shut down the computer- if necessary do that via forcing a shutdown by holding the power button until it powers down.

The first is to simply press and hold the "C" key immediately after you power up the computer and hear the startup "chime". Continue to hold the C key down until it is clear that the Mac is booting from the Leopard DVD. It will then take a few minutes and will get you to the first screen of the installer.

The second method is to hold down the "Option" key right after starting up lke above. You will shortly be presented with a screen that will show all the bootable sources available- which in your case will probably just be the installer DVD and the Windows partition. Just select the DVD and it will boot from the it to the starting screen of the OSX installer.