Help w/ rural internet access

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GNice, Aug 19, 2008.

1. GNice macrumors 6502

My daughter lives in a somewhat rural area and the phone infrastructure isn't great. i.e. - DSL isn't available from the phone company or any other DSL provider (like EarthLink). Her local cable company doesn't offer internet access either.

Any ideas or options for something other than dial-up or satellite? Would one of the wireless internet cards work...the supposedly can find the internet anywhere (yea I know it's just advertising). Is it possible to get one at a reasonable price? Something around 20-30 dollars a month or prepaid?

Thx,
    G

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I would try to see if there is a Wireless Intenet Provider (not a Cell Phone Internet Provider) like Clearwire, Bluewave, or Fairnet in her area. Satellite is expensive.

TEG

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

My parents live in a very rural area and their only option is dial-up or 1 provider of wireless broadband. I would agree that checking for a wireless provider would be your best bet. Sometimes, there might be one just out of range, but she might be able to get them to hook her up if she agrees to house a repeater for them so they can expand their coverage. Not all providers offer that, but I have heard of some that do.

4. GNice thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May check some of the local companies might have popped up to fill Sprint Broadband Direct's recent demise in some of the states/areas.