HELP w/shattered iPad Air 2 Screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by willmtaylor, Oct 7, 2015.

1. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The other day the screen on my 64GB iPad Air 2 was shattered/cracked. (Don't ask.) It's still usable, but it definitely needs to be replaced. The unit is out of warranty.

A new iPad is $600. An out of warranty screen replacement is $380 (https://www.apple.com/support/ipad/repair/screen-damage/)

Are there any other options?

Does anyone know if Apple will simply replace the iPad's screen or actually swap units out and give me a new one?

Thanks,
    Will

2. ACG12 macrumors 6502

It's not out of warranty. The Air 2 was released 10/22/2014.

3. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Oh, you're right, but it was an accident and not manufacturing defect, so it's considered an out-of-warranty repair, and I'd still be paying out of my pocket, correct?

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

tried ringing them and explaining your situation? they'll answer you better than us :)

5. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Yep it would be out of pocket unless it were a warranty thing.

You only option are to buy a new one of get the screen fixed. There is a possibility you could get it fixed cheaper from a 3rd party but I have my doubts. Sorry about your loss.

I would be heartbroken is something happened to my Air 2, it is a great device.

6. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's what I figured, but just anted to be sure.

Replacing an iPad Air 2's screen is such an extensive process, most don't bother, and this is presumably why Apple charges so much.

Thanks!

Was still wondering if anyone has gone through this before though because I'm wanting too now if Apple only replaced screen or entire device.

7. ACG12 macrumors 6502

Make an appointment to meet a genius, and just be totally honest with them. They may work with you.

I was very fortunate that the genius I met replaced my wife's iPhone 6 plus for $0 out of pocket. The screen was internally shattered and the frame had a bend on one of the corners.

8. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I had a tiny crack on my iPad Mini 2 screen. I have AppleCare. Since I bought a Mini 4, I plan to sell my Mini 2 so I made an appointment to have the screen replaced.
    The genius said that Apple does NOT replace screens on iPads. So for 49 usd I got a brand new unit.
    So to answer your question, Apple will not replace just the screen, but you will get a new unit.

9. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Ok. The thanks for the answer! The $380 is crazy for a screen replacement, but if I get a whole new device, it's more palatable. Still wish it hadn't happened though. Thanks again.

10. Closingracer macrumors 68000

They do replace the screens... Just not at the Apple store. They give you a refurbished unit and they ship it to a factory to be refurbished and be sold as a used iPad

11. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Maybe, but the genious assured me the unit was brand new.
    Of course they replace screens. The op was talking about HIS screen and getting it handed back to him.
    And tbh, the genious wasn't. I had to help him take the sim out as he was angling the insertion tool. He was probably wrong about brand new as well, but Apple refurbished imo is just as good with a new battery, and a flawless back as well as a new screen.

12. Closingracer macrumors 68000

They are 100% refurbished units unless they somehow don't have any refurbished units to give you unless this policy changed.

13. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Perhaps your homeowners insurance will cover it. Mine would.

14. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

The unit I received came in a brown box without the appropriate manuals, cables etc from below. It was brand new per the genius.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:
    • is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
    • is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
    • is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
    • is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
    • includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
    • is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
    • is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.
    I have bought a refurbished unit in the past. It came in a completely different box with a new charger, cable and instructions.

15. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Those are seller refurbished.

The devices are not "new" for ones being wraantied or otherwise. They are refurbished units but in a different box since they aren't selling you a device but instead replacing

16. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

@willmtaylor
    Mystro is right. Most homeowners insurance will cover this.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

For what it's worth, the reusable boxes that Apple uses for iDevice [iPod, iPad, iPhone] replacements at the Genius Bar can contain either brand-new or refurbished items inside of them.

Apple's refurbished iDevices "include a brand new battery and outer shell." and come with the same shrink-wrapping that the brand-new ones do, so you shouldn't be able to visibly tell if it's refurb'ed on brand-new.

You may have received a brand-new device as a replacement. Most folks do not (unless it's a replacement that's happening in the first weeks after a new launch).

18. newellj macrumors 601

One thing I would say is that unless you truly have no other alternatives I wouldn't consider a third-party repair. Get it taken care of one way or the other with Apple. Given the cost of the unit, making sure that the parts are correct and correctly installed is worth a lot.

19. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It probably would, but $380 isn't worth making a claim. My deductible is more than that, and filing a claim could affect the rate. I appreciate the heads up, but I just don't think that route is worth it. Thanks again.