Help w/some basic functions for a newly Mac converted

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hopper8, Jun 7, 2011.

1. hopper8 macrumors newbie

I’m new to MAC and I’m trying to figure out some simple function in OS X, which I used until recently in my PC. I’m reading some basic tutorials, but these are issues for which I couldn’t find an easy resolution and which for any Mac user are probably very easy. So instructions on these would be greatly appreciated!

1. How do I save URL shortcuts on my Mac desktop? I’m using Firefox and OS X 10.6.7

2. How can I view in finder all sub folders of a folder in alphabetical order and then all documents that are in that folder (not within any of the subfolders)?

3. How do I delete the letter AFTER the cursor when I write something? In PC, I used the button ‘delete’ to do so, but in MAC, when I press delete, it deletes the letter that was just BEFORE the cursor (in PC there was another button for this)

4. Moving to last opened window: If I have several opened windows (in different spaces) and I just want to go back and forth between two different windows (e.g. between one of pdf and one of the several Word docs) either within the same space of from different spaces, is there a command shortcut to go back to the previous window I had opened and then back and forth?

Thanks so much,

Hopper

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

Drag from the address bar in Firefox to your Desktop.
    In other words, you want folders to sort before files. There are many threads on this:
    Can I sort folders to display before files? - MacRumors Forums
    Snow Leopard - Finder - Sort folders first, then files - MacRumors ...

fn+Delete
    I'm not sure I understand your question.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

1. Highlight the URL in the address bar, click and hold for a second or so, then drag and drop to the desktop.

2. Not natively possible in OS X unfortunately.

3. fn + backspace

4. I don't think this is possible, but there is a shortcut to cycle through all windows that is customisable in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Keyboard and Text Input
    EDIT : This doesn't seem to work accross spaces so scratch that.

4. cyc94 macrumors newbie

I would just do Command Alt? Its the same as Alt Tab for windows

5. hopper8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for your responses. Very helpful. Just a couple of follow ups:

On #1: how do I drag from the address bar in Firefox to my desktop if Firefox and the desktop are two different windows? I tried dragging the icon left to the url to the finder (to open the desktop) and then drag it to the desktop but didn’t work. I also tried copy and paste but didn’t work either.

On #4: What I mean is: I have several windows opened in various applications. But let’s say that now I’m reading a pdf file and here and there cutting and pastinto into a Word doc. So I want to go back and forth between that specific pdf file and that specific Word doc, without having every time to go through ‘expose’ and searching the pdf file or Word file among the many files I have open. In other words, I’m looking for a shortcut that will enable to go the window I just had opened before the one I’m currently using. Any suggestions? Cyc94, I tried Command Alt, as you suggested, but it doesn’t do anything. Is it the same as Command option or do I need to press something to turn the option key into alt? will this do what I’m looking for?

Since you’ve been so helpful, one more small question: Ho w do I move the cursor to top of the document in a Word document (using Office for Mac)? When using other application, I use command left arrow, but this doesn’t work with Word in Mac.
    Thanks again for your help,

Hopper

6. simsaladimbamba, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

simsaladimbamba

7. hopper8 thread starter macrumors newbie

SIMSAMBALIMBAMBA, thanks for the two tips. Very helpful.

ANYONE, Any suggestions for the other question I had, i.e.

How do I move the cursor to top of the document in a Word document (using Office for Mac)? When using other application, I use command left arrow, but this doesn’t work with Word in Mac.

Thanks

Hopper

8. jamietshaw macrumors member

Word shortcuts

Word uses Windows-styles shortcuts, so on a full size keyboard you can use Cmd+Home and Cmd+End (i.e. those diagonal arrows). I'm not sure what you can do on a laptop keyboard that doesn't have Home and End keys, other than be annoyed.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Command-Left arrow moves the cursor to the left side of the text box or page, not the top. Command-Up arrow will do what you want.

jW

10. hopper8 thread starter macrumors newbie

In my mac, command + arrow changes the space I'm in (e.g. command + up arrow changes space 3 to 1 or 4 to 2). While I'm in other applications (website or pdf) fn + left arrow brings me to the top of the document, but this doesn't work with Word. So which shortcut I need to use to bring the cursor to the beginning of the document in word for mac?

thanks,

Hopper

11. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Command + arrow keys for switching spaces conflicts with shortcuts in other apps. You could change it ctrl + arrow keys for example.

12. snberk103 macrumors 603

Regarding the URL shortcut. Drag the icon to the actual desktop.... bypass the Finder entirely.

Some have mentioned the CMD+TAB key combo. There is also the CMD+` combo (the back-tick key. On my keyboard it's the key in far top-left corner, under the 'esc' key. This will cycle you through open windows in the same application, though it won't work across different Spaces.

Two other navigation tricks.
    1) On document or Finder windows, CTRL+Click on the icon in the title bar at the top (you won't see the icon on a Safari window). This will cause a drop down list of folders to where the folder is located. You can click on any of the folders to navigate to that folder.
    2) You can set "View" > "Show Path Bar" to persistently show the same info at the bottom of the Finder window. You can click the folders to navigate there.

Good Luck.

13. hopper8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for your responses and tips. On my question of which shortcut I need to use to bring the cursor to the beginning of the document in word for mac: JOLLY JIMMY, you said that "Command + arrow keys for switching spaces conflicts with shortcuts in other apps. You could change it ctrl + arrow keys for example". But how do I do that?

thanks,

Hopper

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts

You can modify, add or delete shortcuts there.

15. simsaladimbamba

In addition to the tip GGJstudios gave you, you can also go to System Preferences > Exposé & Spaces >> Spaces >>> To switch directly between Spaces: and change it to what you like of the tiny offering.