Help w Symlink

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by cibby, Aug 10, 2011.

1. cibby macrumors member

I just installed an optibay and am running an SSD/HD setup in my 2011 MBP. I did a clean install of Lion. I found instructions online how to create a Symlink, which I'm trying with my Downloads folder. For some reason after I think I've created it, it doesn't seem to work. In Chrome when I go to download a file I get prompted with a dialog on where to save it rather than I automatically downloading to my Downloads folder. After a couple of tries, Chrome is now crashing anytime I try to download something.

Here is what I did in Terminal

sudo rm -rf ~/Downloads/
    (after typing in my password the folder was deleted)

and then

ln -s /Volumes/HD_Bigness/Downloads/ ~/Downloads

This created what looks to be an alias in my home director called "Downloads" but from what I've read this is what it should look like.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?

Separate but related question is that when I went to put a shortcut in the finder to the new Downloads folder, the icon in the Favorites section is just a folder, not the standard Download icon. I changed the icon for the folder using Get Info, but it doesn't seem to impact the Finder's smaller icon. Is there a way to fix that?

2. Tutorer, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

Tutorer macrumors member

The Finder shows both aliases and symbolic links as aliases, although they are different. When you do an ls in Terminal you can see the difference.

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I could be having a weird day, but it looks like you are trying to make a symlink to a folder you just deleted.

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

ln -s <source> <destination>

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Did he not delete the destination?

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

He deleted the destination and replaced it with the symbolic link to /Volumes/HD_Bigness/Downloads. So when it opens ~/Downloads he is really opening /Volumes/HD_Bigness/Downloads.

7. cibby thread starter macrumors member

I'm the OP. That's what I'm trying to do but it didn't seem to take. I thought once I created the Symlink that apps trying to access my Downloads folder would actually access the new folder location on my HDD. Does it look like I did it correctly and I just have an unexpected outcome? Is it necessary to reboot or anything like that?

8. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Make sure that there are no permission conflicts on /Volumes/HD_Bigness/Downloads. It could be that the permissions are set such that you are not able to write to /Volumes/HD_Bigness/Downloads. In the terminal app do a "ls -l /Volumes/HD_Bigness" to check the permissions.

9. cibby thread starter macrumors member

I think I figured out the issue with your help. I couldn't even run that in Terminal as it kept saying "No such file or directory". I tried changing over to that Volume and could not. I think it's because of the space in the name. I tried it a bunch of different ways "HD Bigness" "HD_Bigness" "HD-Bigness" and nada. So I changed the name to a single word and everything including the symlink is working for me.

I still don't know how to change the small icon for the Downloads folder in the left hand nav of the Finder. I have used Get Info to change the folder's main icon but it seems the Finder left hand nav icon is handled differently. Any workarounds?

10. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Google the binary "setfileicon". That worked for me.

11. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

If you want to use a use a folder name with a space in it you have to escape the space it with a backslash (\). So for example if I had a directory named This Directory in order to access it from the terminal I would use This\ Directory. I always drag the folder to the terminal and let the OS do the escape on spaces.

12. gsxrq macrumors member

13. cibby thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Taz, I didn't know you could drag it in there. I changed the HD name to test this and dragged it in... it looked like this /Volumes/HDD\ Bigness

Thank again.

I did some Googling of Setfile and it seems that folks have had success assigning custom side bar icons to FILES that have been pulled there, but not folders (yet). Here's the link to where I found some folks discussing it...
    http://macthemes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16811054

14. ctbear macrumors 6502a

15. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Glad I could help. :)

16. gsxrq macrumors member

still can't get finder sidebar icons to be the right ones any ideas

have symlink to downloads pictures and iTunes on second drive
    copied icons to new dirs look ok in finder but not in sidebar
    also seems symlink gets icon from dirs on second drive

anyone got the answer

17. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Did you try running setfileicon on the folder you are linking to? You mention the symlink gets icon from dirs on second drive so it might make sense to run setfile icon on the folders on the second drive.

@ OP: Also you might be able to create a symlink to a path containing a space, I think you need a / (or is it a \) before each space. I normally avoid spaces in unix file and path names as they can cause problems so now that you have everything working without a space, that is the better approach. But if you had to have a space for some reason, I think you could make it work.

18. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Try removing the shortcut from sidebar and re-add