Help! wait for macbook or HP dv 2910us???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jadamcyk, Aug 6, 2008.

  1. jadamcyk macrumors newbie

    Mar 25, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Hey all,

    My older Hp dv 1000 is needing an upgrade and as of now I am without a computer (broken power cord, unchargable battery and dead os because of spyware and viruses :( ) and am looking for some unbias notebook advice from some of the mac users out there.

    There is a deal at circuit city for an Hp dv 2910us for $629.99 after rebate which includes:

    14.1 inch glossy screen
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5550
    • 250GB hard drive
    • Built-in wireless 802.11agn
    • 3GB of DDR2 memory
    • Burns DVDs and CDs
    • Built-in webcam

    Now I can go out today and buy this which includes Vista, or wait without a working computer until the newer version of the Macbook is released (and also pay more than twice the price)

    My question is what would be the better short term and long term decision??? Thanks everybody!:)
  2. HerrRolf macrumors newbie

    Jun 25, 2008
    Just wait it out. Trust me, the OS is well worth the wait. The specs of a PC versus a Mac are not comparable, at least not rigidly. Macs, from what I have read, utilize all the specs to the fullest, creating a more fluid operation. The price difference is big btwn these two, but 3-4 years from now you'll be buying a new PC or still chugging away on your mac (though I can't speak from experience just from my friends experience ;))
  3. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

    Apr 23, 2008
  4. Blakely028 macrumors regular


    Apr 29, 2008
    I would wait for the MacBook. As HerrRolf says, the OS will be worth the wait! :)
  5. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

    Jul 16, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I was looking at that same deal today! I really wanted the macbook but with this deal, it may be a little too good to pass up. I was looking forward to getting the macbook, but as it stands I may get the hp
  6. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Jul 20, 2008
    So the upcoming MacBook is likely to close the spec gap and even reverse it in the MacBook's favor. Maybe even the low-end MacBook ($1099) would be suitable for you.

    But as others have said, the OS/software is the key and that makes all the difference. :)
  7. FuuFuu macrumors regular


    Jul 8, 2008
    if you want a laptop that will last longer, macbook, 100% sure. and the resell price is pretty awesome compared to any other laptops imo. correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the T5550 core 2 duo the old processor? santa rosa? and its probably around 1.8ghz, its not fast. whats the graphics card on this thing?
  8. KingYaba macrumors 68040


    Aug 7, 2005
    Up the irons
    Hehehehe. Unless there is some specific reason you need OS X just buy the HP notebook and enjoy.
  9. FuuFuu macrumors regular


    Jul 8, 2008
    i took the effort to look the item up. i stand corrected, its a 1.83 ghz processsor with 677 front bus speed with an integrated graphics card. the current low end macbook($999 with discount), which is still not updated, has 800 front bus speed and its a 2.1 ghz. if you're not going to do much media editing, video games, high processor required activity, this would be a good laptop for you. but i bet you can find a better deal on somewhere else like dell if you perfer price over performance.

    the "original price" they present to you, 889, i'm guess that was the price hmm a year and a half ago.

    its up to you, its your money, i'm just trying to give you an unbiased opinion. a lot of stores trick you with that. especially with the 2.4 ghz, if you don't check what the fsb is, you don't know which processor it is.

Share This Page