HELP: Want to hook two non-TB ACDs to my rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by all2sober, Oct 9, 2012.

1. all2sober macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2012

I can't find the right adapter out there... can someone help me. One ACD goes Displayport to mini DP and into a TB port, the other will need to go through the HDMI port... so here's the question, is there an adapter that will let me plug a non TB ACD into the HDMI port.... every adapter I find online is for plugging a HDMI display into a TB port, not DP into an HDMI source....

am I taking crazy pills here?
  2. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Sep 13, 2007
    why aren't you just plugging the second display into the second thunderbolt port?

Are these the older displays with DVI connectors?
  3. all2sober thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2012
    I am using the other TB port for the ethernet adapter. They are the ones with the mini displayport
  4. peskaa macrumors 68020

Mar 13, 2008
    London, UK
    HDMI in OS X only supports 1920x1080 by default, even though the HDMI 1.4 spec allows for higher resolutions (including the 2560x1440 of the ACD). There are a variety of work arounds mainly involving forcing the display to run at 40Hz refresh rather than 60Hz using SwitchResX, but the ACD won't like that and will refuse to display a signal.

So basically, no. You need to use your two Thunderbolt ports for the displays and work something else out for the networking. Do you absolutely need gigabit ethernet, the older USB>Ethernet adapter worked at 10/100 speeds.