Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
I am running a two month old iMac with 10.4.11 installed and the wired mighty mouse scroll ball has stopped scrolling up in all programs, it only scrolls down. Has anyone else had this problem? It used to scroll up but not anymore.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
get a piece of paper, turn the MM upside down, then roll the MM over the paper for a few minutes. That should clean out the rollers and make scrolling work again.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The best way I've found of cleaning the scroll ball is to spray a small amount of iKlear polish onto it then turn the mouse upside down on a paper towel and push it forwards and backwards a few times. Seems to work much better than just rolling it on paper.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Thanks guys, I've just fixed it with a bit of spit on the screen cleaning cloth rolled over the scroll ball. Back to its old self again. Brings back memories of satisfaction of scraping the scum off old-fashioned mouse balls with a scalpel. Ahh ... those were the days.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
search.gif

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
The best way I've found of cleaning the scroll ball is to spray a small amount of iKlear polish onto it then turn the mouse upside down on a paper towel and push it forwards and backwards a few times. Seems to work much better than just rolling it on paper.
I love Apple, but MightyMouse is definitely crap.

I have gone through about five since they came out. It's a poor design both ergonomically and from the point of view of service as well. They are virtually impossible to clean or take apart.

Sadly, the one thing Apple has never done right is mice.

Perhaps everyone at Apple goes to a fancy cafeteria for lunch and tosses their mouse in the trash when the ball gets stuck.

Where I work, people have to eat at their desks and might spend hundreds of hours mousing through massive spreadsheets. A mouse that gets gunked up in a week and cannot be cleaned is a big, big problem.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005

Good point. But sometimes the panic sets in and the illogical mind thinks - was it that last update I installed. Anyway I've enjoyed this thread, who doesn't like discussing how they clean their dirty balls.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Good point. But sometimes the panic sets in and the illogical mind thinks - was it that last update I installed. Anyway I've enjoyed this thread, who doesn't like discussing how they clean their dirty balls.

Yup, keep the cream off of your mighty mouse balls. =p

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
I love Apple, but MightyMouse is definitely crap....

Couldnt've said it any better. I'm not sure why people buy them.

I'm very happy with my logitech mx revolution (not much more expensive than the wireless MM). I'm also quite in love with my razer copperhead, cause I mouse with both hands and it's an ambidextrous gaming mouse.

My favorite part of the mx revolution (and the newer Logitech mice) is the scroll wheel. It does your usual vertical/horizontal scroll, but it has two speeds for scrolling, which comes in real handy all the time.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
UK
get a piece of paper, turn the MM upside down, then roll the MM over the paper for a few minutes. That should clean out the rollers and make scrolling work again.

I've been doing this for a while and it works brilliantly. You might have to roll the mouse quite vigourously to dislodge the gunk - and you'll probably have a load of streaks across the piece of paper!

It's also recommended to turn the mouse off first - otherwise you'll end up scrolling very quickly over whatever you've currently got open :p

smliss

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
scroller ball not working

Hi , I just read about how to clean the roller on the mouse. Mine wasn't scrolling at all.

Thanks to Swiftaw, It's working perfect.

I was going crazy trying to figure out what was wrong.
Wahoooooo!!!!

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Seems to me there is too much talk of Dirty Balls going on here :D

if this is such a problem, why haven't apple done something about it ?

seems daft when they spend so long designing the things.............

MewRS

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2009

:eek:
MAAAANNN!!!!

You REALLY kick ass!!

Worked PERFECT for me!!

Thank you!!!

listen2me

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks RichP

We're lucky to have guys like RichP in this forum offering such constructive advice. I used Google to search on this topic. Arrived at this page and it fixed my problem. Now I've been here, I'll probably come back again to help solve any other problems I have. Hopefully RichP is still around to help out with some more useful tips.

Zeeinnm

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2007
Thanks, this worked very well. I cannot understand, though, if you have replaced it 5 times, why didn't you just buy something else? While I was having this trouble i tried my Logitech and it worked fine. You don't HAVE to keep buying Apples mice.

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
I've had this many times, damn dirt is annoying :mad: initially i thought the bluetooth was playing up

Lakecharles

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
Indiana

thank you so much... your solution worked like a charm. I was looking at vids tearing into it and other options.... but this was simple, quick, and effective!

DryStone

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
The Dirt on Mighty Mouse

I've had this problem intermittently for about a year. I thought that I "fixed" it once by removing the batteries, but I guess that just dislodged the dirt causing the problem. Rubbing it clean as suggested here worked first time. Thanks.

amanpatel

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
Holly crap! That worked (the rolling on paper upside down). I had tried everything (except opening it up):

- press down hard and roll up/down
- use air gas canisters to do the cleaning.
- tried ISPA (iso propyl alcohol - the kind of stuff that does not leave any liquid it just evaporates away).

But this did the trick! I used a IEEE magazine's cover to roll the ball, and it was clear after just a few rolls!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.