help...wanting to upgrade macbook hard drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dane1127, May 17, 2007.

1. dane1127 macrumors newbie

so ive had my new macbook for almost 3 weeks now and i am very happy with it. i got the mid level macbook. anyways the 80gb hdd is filling up quickly and i am looking for a larger capacity hdd...somewhere along the lines of 160gb and up. anyways i was just wondering if anyone out there would have any suggestions regarding a reliable brand or model of hdd to purchase...thanks

-DMD

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I don't think there are any really bad brands out there at the moment. I was thinking of getting maybe the Hitachi or a Seagate (also the possiblity of a WD Scorpio). I'm trying to find out which is the quietest of the bunch.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i went with a Seagate for mine. i can't hear the thing, and plus it has the longest warranty of them all really.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

i suggest going external and sticking with the current 80gb.

only because it's a laptop, and laptops get abused. abuse == hard drive failure...

Otherwise, I have both Seagate and Hitachi drives, I suggest you weigh your options (performance+speed over noise issues and power consumption) and choose appropriately.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm extremely happy with my 200GB Toshiba MK2035GSS (Danish link in honour of your nick :p).

It's actually faster than most of the 5400 disks, when filled more than ~74 GB data, according to this test.

6. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I have been wondering about the 200GB HD that would fit the MacBook. Can United States people order that as well?

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yep. new egg linky

8. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

I have a 160GB WD Scorpio from OWC. It's worked great so far, and it's a good price with a 3 yr. warranty. I did have to turn off the Sudden Motion Sensor because WD drives have their own motion sensor, but it's easy, just a couple lines in Terminal.

9. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I recommend Seagate.

Don't forget you need a Torx T8 Screwdriver if you want to change out the hard drive.

10. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Why did you have to turn it off?