HELP! Warranty and replacement part?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jameswales, Mar 5, 2008.

1. jameswales macrumors newbie

Having trouble with my mighty mouse so followed through the support pages on the apple site to order a new one.

My Mac is 6 months old and has a 'limited warranty'.

I have sent the request for a new part, and was given this screen asking for card details:

'
    Detailed Quote
    Item

Cost

Total: £ 26.00

Please note that you will be required to pay a non-return penalty fee if the part is not returned within 10 business days.

Important: You must return your defective part to Apple. When you receive your replacement part, please check your box or envelope for return shipping instructions. If you do not return the defective part, we will charge a non-return penalty to your credit card.'

[ ] Yes, I agree to pay £ 26.00 if I do not return my defective part within 10 business days.

___

Does this mean I am getting charged for the new part? Or only if I fail to send the defective mouse back within 10 days?

Thanks,
    James.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

When you get your replacement:
    Use the packaging that contained your replacement part to return the defective part.
    You have 10 days from the date you receive your replacement, not 10 days from when the replacement is mailed from Apple.
    Finally, according to the Apple rep I talked to when replacing my battery, the 10 is a guideline, and isn't strictly enforced.

In other words, you will be charged if you fail to return the defective part within a reasonable amount of time. You won't be charged if you return the part. And if the mouse truly is defective, there's no point in holding on to it.