Help, Was Installing HD, and this Chip Broke Off - Pics

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Adamapple, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Adamapple, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2016

Adamapple macrumors member

Just got my Mac Pro 3.1 running. OS X and apps on a 128 SSD. I was installing a WD apple 250gb hard drive into slot #2. It was not going in smoothly, then this chip or piece of board fell/broke off. I was able to get the drive in, and the computer is running perfect, but I'm a little concerned. I looked with a flashlight, but no luck determining where it goes ... Help Please :)

Pics here at my flickr account:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145614895@N04/shares/1z90w7

Thanks!!!!!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    Here is my Geekbench 4 (not sure if good?) Will be adding more ram soon.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/417780

2. VAGDesign macrumors 6502

VAGDesign

It's not Powermac, it's Mac Pro 3,1.
    Someone with the same machine can help, but point where exactly it was before it broke so we can check what it does. From the photo seems like a USB or SATA power adaptor (?)...
    Don't know.

3. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

That's strange.

It looks like a thermal sensor. There's five of them in the MacPro3,1. One is located above the optical drives (glued to the top of the case), and then there's four located on each drive bay next to the SATA connectors (they're attached to black plastic brackets).

Thing is, this doesn't really look like any of those. It's definitely a temperature sensor, I just don't know which one. Yours looks like it's encased in glue, and I've never seen that before in any of these systems. You'll probably have to check each HD bay (look for whatever doesn't look like the other three), and/or the top of the optical drive bay to figure out where it's supposed to go.

-SC

4. flehman macrumors 6502

flehman

If it's a thermal sensor could he install a fan utility and see which sensor isn't returning a reading?

5. Adamapple thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies (meant to say MacPro, was late when I posted) ... I'll check the areas mentioned. As I mentioned it runs great, but it's bothering me though ...

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Wasn't this 250GB HDD taken from iMac? This is an iMac HDD temperature sensor, used in G5 and Intel white iMacs. Mac Pro ones don't have rounded board corners. Looks like it was glued to the drive (as in these iMacs should be) and it felt off when you were putting drive in Mac Pro. Nothing to worry if so.

7. Adamapple thread starter macrumors member

Not sure, perhaps though. I was purchased the machine from a friend who runs a computer store. I'll ask him tomorrow. It would make sense ... he was setting up some 21.5 iMac's that day. Also, when I was pushing in the HD into slot, I was no where near the board, and the sensor just popped off. Yes it does have glue or that type on the back, also, I looked at some images on google ... looks the same. So I think I'm okay.

8. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

9. Adamapple thread starter macrumors member