HELP!! Water (beer) damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reticent, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Reticent macrumors member

I'm sure that this has been discussed ad naseum. However, I'm panicking and my attempts to fix this as well as my searches have left me dry regarding my particular damage.

I took a nap earlier today and found that my Bassett hound spilled a beer on my early 2011 MBP. Frack. What she was doing with the beer I'll never know :rolleyes:.

But my optical SuperDrive clicks on start up when I tried to put in my snow leopard oem disk, the led flashes about five or six times before start up, and after a long time on a white screen I get the flashing folder with a question mark. the battery is shot, it only boots on ac power, and I've only tried that three times (I later found not to try to boot for about three days.

I drained the extra liquid, opened up the back, dried off what I could. I removed the HD, dried off what I could, and I've got the whole thing reassembled and upside down on a towel with a fan blowing on it to dry it out and prevent drips in the motherboard.

Suggestions? Anything else I can do? I have a genius appointment tomorrow.

As an aside, if they find the motherboard is fine and it's only the internal HDD, should I consider simply upgrading to an ssd or a 7200 rpm? I noticed newegg offers a 700some gig 7200 for only around $150, which I'm sure is less Than apple.

It's under AppleCare. It's a 15" early 2011 2.2. It's my baby:(

Help!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Doesn't really matter. Liquid damage pretty much gives Apple an excuse to refuse any warranty repair you might request.

3. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Unfortunately, AppleCare is not insurance, so it doesn't cover accidental damage.:(

Apple will fix it, but you will have to pay for the repairs.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

My suggestion is just dry it with the fan for at least a full day, longer if you can. The better you dry it the better chance you have at it working again.

5. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

^ +1

Also, use that link that was provided to you about accidental spills. It has some really neat tips.:)

6. Reticent thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the quick replies.

I know AppleCare won't necessarily cover it, I used to work at an apple store. I was just giving the full picture.

I looked at that thread and thought I was clear that it wasn't much help for my situation in particular. In fact I took many suggestions from it.

I'm not trying to be difficult or throw the comments back in your face, but my question really was what else can I do? Sorry if that was out of line, I saw my post gave me a minus one :(

I just want some helpful feedback on further steps to take. Thank you in advance. And thank you iduel and alust

7. Reticent thread starter macrumors member

As another aside, the thread suggests removing the battery. That will void my apple warranty. Thoughts?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That only applies to removable batteries.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Your warranty is already as good as dead due to the water damage. You have nothing to lose.

10. Reticent thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!!!

11. Reticent thread starter macrumors member

That seems a bit premature... I'm sure that I'd have a stronger argument to apple saying I would have removed the battery but did not want to void the warranty rather than further voiding the warranty by removing the battery... Not sure that's the best move but I do appreciate the response :)

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The point is that the spill likely voided any chance of future warranty coverage, whether you remove the battery or not.

13. Reticent thread starter macrumors member

Ah. Apologies to previous poster. So basically I must throw myself at the mercy of apple, aka buy another mbp.

Unless, thoughts on this?-- if the motherboard is fine then upgrade/replace the HDD and eventually replace SuperDrive with internal ssd?

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not necessarily. Many notebooks recover from a spill without needing to be replaced. At the worst, you may need to have the logic board replaced. That's still less expensive than replacing the whole computer. If the logic board is OK, replacing other affected parts will be much cheaper.

15. Reticent thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. So apple will diagnose the problem tomorrow.. I'll get a feel for what I'm looking at cost-wise and parts wise... And then I'll make my decision. Any thoughts on fixing the sticky keys?

16. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

And this is why I pay the extra £2 a month to get accidental damage on my house insurance :p

17. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

I'm so glad I have accidental coverage on my MBP incase I do anything like accidentally spilling something on/in it.

18. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Call your insurance company - it may be covered under your homeowners or renters policy.

19. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Shove it in uncooked rice. Removes the moisture. It works if you spilled water on any electronic, but no clue about beer.