Help! Water damage, I think it's salvageable?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by n0saj, Mar 4, 2013.

1. n0saj macrumors newbie

So about a 3 weeks ago i spilled a cup of water near my 2009 MacBook Pro and it shut off completely and the world ended for me. So after I got up from falling from devastation, I unscrewed the back, but couldn't unscrew the battery off cause I didn't have that tri screwdriver, wiped everything down and dumped it in a tub of rice.

After about 10 days, mostly because I didn't want to face facts of a broken MacBook, I took it out and got out all the rice and started to charge it and what do you know, it worked perfectly fine. Happy as can be, i started using it like normal and it worked til today. It was working fine for about 8 or 9 days and finally stopped turning on.

What's wrong with it is that it won't charge at all. When I try to plug it in the charger, the regular charge light at the end of the charger isn't bright but very dim now. Also the battery life indicator does not work anymore either.

I'm sure water damage here sounds like a broken record and I was accepting the worse case scenario, but that glimmer of hope is back after seeing it turn on. Has anyone had this problem or know any info on this or it's fixability? Please any info will help, thanks!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

3. n0saj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, do you think it could be corrosion? And would I have to take the whole thing apart and wipe everything down?

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Try the Reset SMC first, also look if the charger is OK, it might be a coincidence but it is certainly possible the charger is the problem, so first things first, SMC reset, check charger and then follow up with opening the Mac.

You actually need to test the charger on another Mac, or another charger on yours.

5. n0saj thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the thing is, it's out of battery life and it won't turn on, so resetting wouldn't work. And when I went to the apple store, I tired two different chargers their and a consultant who had no idea and referred me to some website that did not help at all.

6. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Well,
    if a certifiedly functional charger did not charge your mac, then you can rule out that your charger's busted.

RGDS,