Help! Water on the Keyboard.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nar1117, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

This morning I spilled water on my keyboard. I quickly did the best I could with what I had to get the water off, but obviously some water made it under the keys. I have a MBP with applecare. Immediately after the spill, everything was working fine. About a half hour later the "B" key stopped working. A few hours after that, the whole keyboard stopped working, along with the single-tap detection on the touchpad (everything else about the touch pad works, just not a single tap to click).

I propped the computer upside down like a tent and took the battery out and disconnected the power, and I left it like that for about 6 hours with a fan blowing on it, but nothing changed in the responsiveness except for the single-tap now works on the touchpad.

I have not yet called applecare, and the earliest I can get to an apple store is this sunday. Right now I am using a USB keyboard, and waiting until the keyboard decides it wants to work again.

Is there anything else I can do? I am pretty sure Applecare won't cover the accidental damage (if there is any), and I have heard that keyboards with water spills do recover sometimes, so I am hoping that will happen.

Any Ideas?

2. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

There's not really anything that you can do except let it dry out for a few days or even a week. Applecare will not cover accidental damage as a spill of water on the keyboard.

3. Nar1117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is it ok to use the computer while it dries out, or should I prop it up somewhere and not use it?

4. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Don't use it. Take out the battery, unplug it, and set it in a cool dry place for about 5-7 days. It should be fine after that. If not, let it dry another week. If it still doesn't work, you'll have to send it to apple and have them replace the keyboard. They will know there is water damage because there are special pads and other things that turn colors and/or do other things that let them know there has been water damage.

5. Nar1117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright then. Thanks for the help...

One more question, have I screwed myself by using it some today, after the spill?

6. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

As much as I hate to say this, quite possibly. When there is water on the electronic connectors, and you try to use it, it can short out things very easily. The best thing that you can do when you spill water on an electronic device is to immediately remove anything that provides power to it and let it dry out. My suggestion is to just try to keep from drinking anything around your notebook. That doesn't mean that you have to become a super freak and start covering things with plastic wrapping and start yelling at anybody that has a drink within 10 feet from your notebook.