Help! Water spill!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lexx3, Jan 23, 2011.

1. lexx3 macrumors newbie

Okay, so I have the white 2009 MacBook Unibody and last week, I had a SLIGHT, water spill. I had a basically empty water bottle on one side of me and on my way to throw it out, a bit got on to my keyboard on the right side. I didn't think anything of it and I thoroughly wiped it off and everything seemed fine. I used it with no problems for the rest of the night. The next morning I started up and it went straight into safe mode and then kept telling me I had the wrong password. Finally I put the software disk in and held "C" while booting and was able to get on without logging it. It turns out my shift button must be causing this because I am only able to type in all caps or symbols. And when clicking something it highlights it, as if I'm holding the shift. I've tried taking the individual keys off and cleaning them out, but nothing helps. Everything seems to be working fine except I also noticed that when I turn the volume up and down it doesn't make the indicator noise, it still shows the level indicator on the screen and still controls the volume it just doesn't make the clicking sound anymore.
    So the shift/caps/symbols problem and the volume noise are the only problems I have.

So if anyone can help me or tell me what I need to do in order to fix it or what I need to replace, that would be very helpful! Thanks in advanced

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Macbooks are like sponges when you have water near them ... go to the Apple store and pray for the best.

4. lexx3 thread starter macrumors newbie

So do you suggest I replace the keyboard myself? May I also mention the nearest Apple store is 4 hours away.

5. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Yikes! Some repairs are do-it-yourself, but to replace the keyboard, you have to tear EVERYTHING out of the computer. Without the proper tools, it's easy to damage the computer and cause even worse problems.

Fortunately, for a qualified technician, keyboard replacement isn't absolutely awful. Our price (parts + labor + shipping) is $249, and I'll bet you can find a local repair shop who can match that price. On www.apple.com/support you can find a listing of authorized repair centers near you.

The Apple Store's price will be ridiculous; don't feel too bad you're four hours away :).

Call around!