HELP we have 1080 P tv IS aPPLE tv 4k -ok

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by andersonsrus, Feb 6, 2019.

1. andersonsrus macrumors newbie

We have a 1080P Tv and it still has some life in it as well as the receiver that is not HDMI 2.2 or better that is hooked to speakers. Which is a Pioneer VSX1020 and a Panasonic Plasma TV with 2 regular hdmi connections
    the the receiver has 5 regiular HDMi connections as well
    We will in the future getting a new TV which will be a 4K

We ant to get a streaming device and are considering the Apple TV 4k
    however we see that you need to use a HDMI 2.2 for 4k

Can we use a regular HDMi high speed will be able to see good quality or are we better off with a Roku
    please advice on what is the best bet for us

we need help on this

2. Matthew Essex macrumors member

Matthew Essex

It’s the HDCP that is currently at 2.2. You will have no issues using a regular HDMI with the Apple TV when watching in 1080p.

3. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

4. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

The ATV4k works perfectly fine with a 1080p TV.

Actually, I would highly recommend the ATV4K over getting just an ATV4 at full retail prices. I think the ATV4 was under powered at launch and would probably not age nearly as well as the ATV4K. Plus, the ATV4K is just a little more $ and can usually be found on sale somewhere.

This depends on your intentions with the device.

Are your plans include just Netflix and apps like it? Do you plan on doing gaming? Would AirPlay be something you are interesting in doing?

If you are just using simple streaming apps like Netflix, Roku or FireStick might be better choices due to the price. I think that the ATV is much better, but if you just plan on using streaming apps that are available on all the streaming boxes, the benefits of the ATV won't really matter that much.

5. andersonsrus thread starter macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2019 ---
    we are also thinking of a Roku Ultra thoughts
    We don't have hardly any Apple Content, We do have Iphones and I pad though with very limited pictures and no music
    etc

6. andersonsrus thread starter macrumors newbie

7. andersonsrus thread starter macrumors newbie

we may be getting a 4k tv later this year and to hook up the Apple 4k it suggests a 2.2 HDMI cable
    our receiver uses regular HDMI cables

So what HDMI cables do I purchase along with the Apple 4K

8. Matthew Essex macrumors member

Matthew Essex

you can buy any high speed HDMI 2.0 cable and it should be fine although I was experiencing atifacts with the amazon cables when running 4K Dolby vision. I changed the HDMI to a Belkin 2.1 cable from apple and had no issues since.