HELP!! - Week-old MBP crashed, loud fans, keyboard light not working, date/network

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by electricmagic, Aug 30, 2010.

1. electricmagic macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new here but I am in desperate need of help!
    My week old MBP (13" 2.4ghz) crashed randomly and here's what happened.
    Running on full battery, I go to connect my mini display in and accidently brush the firewire port. This created a small orange spark and the MBP's screen went black. It is unresponsive so eventually I have to hold the power button down to get it to power on. Here's where it gets interesting...The MBP powers on but the fans are running LOUD, louder than I've ever heard them. The desktop appears but it is asking for the time and network connection. It does this every time I restart or log in. Also, the keyboard light is no longer working. And battery says "No battery available", even when plugged in. This MBP is ONE WEEK OLD, and I've been treating it extremely gingerly. I'm letting it sit powered off right now but I don't think that will do the trick. Before I plugged in the mini display I wasn't doing heavy work, just web browsing. I wanted to plug in the mini display to view it on my hdtv. I didn't insert the mini display to the firewire either, it just brushed up against that port. I am extremely devastated and any help would be greatly appreciated, please help this newbie! :apple:

2. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

take it back to the apple store
    you've still got apple care for a year so you should be okay

3. electricmagic thread starter macrumors newbie

What the!

After searching the web for a while I found that many people experienced similar issues with the firewire port. So to make sure this was the problem, I attempted to re-create the problem. Sure enough, the mini display goes into the firewire at a certain spot and the orange spark appears, screen goes black. However, oddly enough, this seems to have fixed it!. I power it on again, expecting to hear the loud fans, etc but this time it's back to normal! And believe me, I tried several restarts, powering off, and log outs while it was messed up. But now, good as new! Even after a restart, log out, etc, it's back to normal. I have no idea how re-creating this spark fixed the MBP but I am ecstatic. :D to anyone else out there with the same issue, hope you come along my thread because believe me, I was livid when I couldn't get it to run normally. It's a week old and especially because I've been treating it like a newborn baby. Matter of fact, gonna find those other threads I found on Apple's site no-less, where they just said "Bring it in to have it fixed". (Which would've been the next step if I couldn't get it working myself)

4. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

well Although you will able to get it to work, I still recommend you have a Apple Genious look at it and run some diagnostics, tell them you were plugging something in the Mini Displayport and a orange spark occured, don't tell them that you brushed the Firewire they may try to void the warrenty under accidental damage.

Tell them all that has happened, running loud blah blah blah, and that now by fluke its all working now, they should check your machine for any damaged components.

I know in your eyes everything is working ok, but its possible recreating the process was only a temporary fix, and being a week old it never hurts to let Apple check it out.