Help! Weird colors appearing on screen of my new macbook...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by samiam762, Jan 16, 2009.

1. samiam762 macrumors newbie

Sorry if I'm repeating a known problem, but I tried searching for this on this and other forums but either I couldn't think of how other people would call it, or it's not that big of a problem, but I couldn't find anything, and hence this post.

I have no idea why, and I don't know how to repeat the problem, but sometimes randomly the colors on my screen get very messed up. see: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8MZmYNMaMMCmal8oV3-Z6g?authkey=ZnLt5_rJ7dg&feat=directlink and http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2ZQbVuRi-6i2W2cWWOb3iw?authkey=ZnLt5_rJ7dg&feat=directlink for two examples. It started happening last week or so, but I'm not sure what brought it on so I can't really bring it in to an apple store to ask what the problem is, so I figured I'd try posting here first to see if anyone knows. I have found that when it happens, when I close the computer (i.e. put it to sleep) and open it back up, the colors are back to normal. However, they seem to switch back to the messed up colors when I bring my mouse to the dock, but I have no idea why that might be related. After a few closing-openings, they seem to stay steady again and it works until probably a few days later when it'll happen randomly again. Also, I tried taking a screen shot while the colors were wrong, but once they were back to normal, the screenshot was also fixed, which I guess means it's something wrong with the screen itself, and not the operating system.

It's a new aluminum macbook, the lesser-costly version, and it's only a month or so old. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sam

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The integrated graphics chip on the logic board is broken, basically in simple terms you need to take it to your nearest Apple store or phone Apple and have them fix it for you. They will fix it for free and you wont loose any data, so dont worry. Also theres no other way to fix it.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Errors such as this are most often associated with a graphics card error. Take it to apple and show them those pictures and they will sort it out for you. :)

4. samiam762 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll do that pronto.
    Much appreciated.
    =)