Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
I need some advice.

There is a small faint noise in my new pb. It almost sounds like a small faint water drop or something. Upon closer inspection, it is a fan of some sort coming on. Remember the noise is faint, but I don't want to bother classmates, should I take it back and get another one.

It does bother me a little. Is this a normal noise in these powerbooks. I have never owned an apple.

It happens about twice a minute.

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
evilernie said:
Do you have the 100mb hard drive? There seems to be a noise in the new 100mb drives, sounds kind of like a pencil eraser tapping on a desk. Many people, myself included, have noticed this in the new powerbooks with the 100mb drive.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/feb05/021105.html#S18798

Where did you get a 100 Megabyte hard drive? I thought those were out with the 90's??

You meant 100GB. Depends on the tasks you are running from the HD. Going off your newbie status, any noise that comes from a Mac might worry you. Give it a while and get used to Mac products.

My new PB12" has a fan noise, but Apple crammed 5 pounds of hardware in a 1 pound box, the fan needs to chill itself.

Cheers.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
_bnkr612 said:
Where did you get a 100 Megabyte hard drive? I thought those were out with the 90's??

You meant 100GB. Depends on the tasks you are running from the HD. Going off your newbie status, any noise that comes from a Mac might worry you. Give it a while and get used to Mac products.

My new PB12" has a fan noise, but Apple crammed 5 pounds of hardware in a 1 pound box, the fan needs to chill itself.

Cheers.

I think I will see if I get used to it. It is not affecting the performance of the machine and seems to be quite common after doing some reading in other forums.

It is a 15" pb, 80GB HD, 512mb ram (stock superdrive system at 1.67ghz)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Is it like a click sound? If it is that is a normal sound but it isn't the fan it is the Hard Drive.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
You should hear mine. It was fine until I used the superdrive. Now if I have a DVD or CD in there, randomly (what I think is) the fan will start blowing (also sounds like a spinning noise) so fast it sounds like a helicopter. THAT turns some heads in the classroom!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
That is not the fan at all, that is the superdrive spinning the disk.

evilernie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
_bnkr612 said:

You meant 100GB.

Whoops, of course that's what I meant... :rolleyes: :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.