HELP! Weird processes taking up all my CPU on my BLAZING FAST iMac!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Awesomeness, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Awesomeness macrumors member

Ok, serious emergency here. A long time ago this other process, called Safari, but with the default application icon, started using up 70% of my CPU. I know they are different processes because:
    • I can see both processes at the same time in the processes list when Safari is open,
    • it still takes up 70-100% even when the REAL Safari is closed,
    • and... something's wrong!

Also, no matter what it open, NOW there's two! You know how the root application reports crashes? (duh) Well, apparently it's reporting millions... It's using 70%-100% of my CPU too! SIMULTANEOUSLY! :confused: A bunch of other root programs are taking 20%-30%, so that totals up to over 250% of my CPU! :eek::confused::eek:

2. belvdr macrumors 603

Is it slowing your system down to where it is unusable?

3. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Do you use fast user switching?
    The process that is using all your CPU is called "Safari" right and the user that owns it is "root", correct?

4. Awesomeness thread starter macrumors member

-Gasps- IT'S MY LITTLE BROTHER! >.< So that explains Safari lol. One last thing... Now my computer is just BARELY usable, (it now doesn't take ten seconds for each character I type in to show on the screen, now its only seven seconds! :D) but ReportCrash is still taking up... four hundred percent of my CPU!? Holy cra now each char taks 20 secs 2 load omg help cant typ

5. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

this is probably a stupid question, but did you try restarting the computer?

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Did you reboot? This seems like an obvious thing to do.

7. Awesomeness thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I rebooted. Still a problem, but only like 70% now.

8. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Take a Screen shot of activity monitor set to "Active Processes" and post it on here.

Someone will know what's going on from that.

You might also try googling any processes that seem to be high to see what they are and how to stop them.

Attached Files: