help! - weird restart delay in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by catachip, Nov 25, 2007.

1. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

Hey there,

I have been having this annoying problem with Leopard. I have a 2.4 Ghz MBP (4 GB Ram, 160 GB HD, 256 mv video) with 10.5.1 after erase-and-install. I have had this problem since immediately after installing (i.e. it didn't crop up after installing any programs).

When I restart the computer or shut it down, it will go through it's normal thing, the screen will dim then go black. But, instead of immediately restarting, it will sit with the screen turned off for 10-20 seconds (with the white power indicator on solid white). Then the Mac chime will sound and it will continue restarting.

This is really annoying. Is there any log or something I can check to see what is going on, or what is causing the delay? Any one experience this or offer a fix? Are there any settings that I could reset? I have repaired the disk and repaired permissions through "Disk Utility" with no change.

Thanks so much!

2. kolax macrumors G3

Everyone is suffering from this problem - disappointing 10.5.1 didn't fix it. I'm sure Apple is well aware of it and will issue the fix in 10.5.2.

It doesn't bother me much since I don't really shutdown my Mac much, I always put it to sleep. Only time I have to restart is when my Airport Disk's aren't being found properly by Finder. Or if I want to play a game on Windoze.

When the screen goes blank for me, I just hold the power button then press it again. I can be impatient at times.

3. DizzyRose macrumors regular

DizzyRose

I too *sometimes* have this problem. It's not really Leopard-bashingly annoying, but it is tedious.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sorry not to be more helpful but instead I'm being more informative. You can't say EVERYONE is having this issue because that's not true. My new iMac restarts immediately with no black screen delay. You have to realize that if EVERYONE was having this issue Apple would have fixed it like they did for the freezing iMacs but when only a few are they may not fix it, it may have a lot to do with installed apps.

6. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Never had this problem, but it just sounds like it's taking it's time loading something up.

7. kolax macrumors G3

Well, I maybe should have put "seems" infront of everyone, since there is a lot of talk of this issue.