Help: What Amount of Resources Do I Need To Give Windows 8

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nim6us, Aug 9, 2013.

1. nim6us macrumors member

nim6us

I'm running VMware Fusion 4 on a Macbook Pro 13" late 2011 with and i5 processor and 8GB of memory. What I'm trying to find out is the amount of resources my VM will need. The Windows 8 VM will not be doing anything crazy like video editing. I'm running open, AIM messenger, 2 RDP sessions, a Word doc, Notepad++, and Google Chrome with 6 tabs open. Basically I understand all the settings, I just need help with how much memory with the VM need, and how many cores should I allocate. With memory I can do up to 4GB for the VM, should I give it that much or is it overkill? The other setting is cores, I'm not sure about this at all, my choices are 1 core, 2 cores, or 4 cores, again what's the right choice? Any help here would be great guys, thanks!

2. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

I run Windows 8 in Parallels, I give it 4GB Ram (out of 8GB) and 2 cores (out of 4) - half of what my system has. Windows doesn't slow down nor does OS X.

3. nim6us thread starter macrumors member

nim6us

That's what I was thinking, if I'm using Windows as a second OS and it's splitting the load of tasks then I should just split it down the middle, give it 4GB and 2 cores, just looking for some reassurance ;)

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

2GB should be fine unless you very actively use chrome. That one probably takes the most RAM but it won't actually need too much if it isn't anymore than 6 tabs and mostly just sitting there.
    4GB is overkill and absolutely not needed unless you really don't need it in OSX.

You can also allocate all 4 cores if you want. Core allocation is not exclusive as many people seem to think around here. It just means that is the maximum the VM may use under 100% load. Since nothing you do actually creates full load unless you actually sit in front of it, it will give you more speed if you just let it use all 4 cores.

The only point of loosing less then 4 is to keep OSX responsive if you have something running at constant load in Windows. All the stuff you want to run is things that need attention to create load like your RDP sessions.

5. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I use 2 cores and 2GB of RAM. Allocated about 15GB of HDD space for Windows 8.

6. andeify, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

Yeah, though the best thing to do is to play with it and see how it feels, open Task Manager and see how much memory Windows uses while your working.

The advice dusk007 gives is good, I used to give the VM all 4 cores but I found that it started to bog down OS X after a while. I like OS X to stay responsive as I use it more than Windows.

7. nim6us thread starter macrumors member

nim6us

Yeah something is not adding up, I gave the VM 4GB of 8GB's and 2 of the 4 cores. Yet both the VM and OS X were crawling, and I wasn't running anything on Windows and very little on OS X. I don't know if it's because it's Windows 8 and technically VM Fusion 4 isn't compatible? Or if I just need to tweak the settings.

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

What computer are you using. In my experience if the system appears to be crawling it is a GPU issue. I am not sure about that but it seemed to me the GPU often has trouble with context switching.
    It may also be that Fusion 4 has some issues with GPU acceleration but that should really only affect the guest not the host. Could be VRAM issues.

Give Windows 8 less RAM. It needs a lot less than OSX to run well. OSX is a memory hog especially with the apps in it.

If the hypervisor does a bad job at scheduling cores try to give Windows only a single thread. With a hyper threading enabled CPU giving it 2 cores means it can use two physical cores if the hypervisor thinks that is a good idea. In my experience that is usually not a problem.

Without spending any money, you could also try virtual box and see if that performs better.

9. jwjsr macrumors 6502

jwjsr

What utility is it that let's you specify the # of cores etc..?

10. scbond macrumors 6502

On VMWare I usually dedicated at least what that version of Windows requires in memory or half of it at most, half of the processor cores and then just enough hard drive space to install it and whatever application I plan to run. Giving it half of the cores and RAM seems to make sense as you're using two operating systems...if you need more processing power then I'd suggest using Boot Camp.