Help! What do I do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SecondDealer, Mar 28, 2009.

1. SecondDealer macrumors regular

Okay,

Every day I spend countless hours on my computer, in the forums responding to posts, watching youtube videos, listening to music etc, but this gets boring after a while. What shall I do with all my free time / computer time.

Is it worth it to learn some sort of programming? If so what kind?

Shall I start a blog? Vlog? Website of some sort? Make a twitter?

Are there any other good forums to join?

Any skills to pick up? Hacking?

As always,
    Thanks for the input.

2. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Programming is hard to learn unless you dedicate your time to it. It takes a while compiling and debugging and etc. Get to know the basics and make basic programs like mathematical calculations and etc before you get to the complicated stuff....

But I wouldn't spend all my time on my computer. Go outside, hang out with friends. We appreciate you answering questions here on MacRumor Forums but Im sure that this site doesnt want you sitting on your computer all day.

Be active, get out and play :)

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'll second that. There are a bazillion different things you can do on a computer, but it is an addiction. Look at me, I'd know. In the nicest possible way: get a life. Get out while you still can.

If you want to learn some programming, be my guest. It really depends what sort of person you are. Anyone can learn to code, but it takes a certain kind of person to enjoy it. If you do want some pointers of where to start, let me know.

4. SecondDealer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips, I have a balance in my life, I go to school, play sports every season, go out on the weekends etc, however I'm on my computer everyday after school for 4 hours or so and my online time just seems pointless...

5. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Try to limit yourself on how long you can be on your computer. There are times that you "need" to be in your computer and there are also times when you just "want" to be near your computer. Know that difference and instead of "wanting" to be near your computer, do something else. In other words, use it only when you need it :)

Its good to hear that you are active in school sports and etc. From my experience, when I was in High School, I spent most of my time away from home. I was mostly at my friends house practically almost living there. It was kinda bad too cuz I didnt have any time spent with my family. So try to balance that too. :)

6. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

Oh man how I wish to have your problem. If only bandwidth caps didn't exist....

7. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Start a blog. Get a LiveJournal page and start posting your observations on life, the universe and everything. If you're spend your life on the computer, leave something behind.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Indeed. Playing games isn't really the best way to spend your time because it's just that, spent time. There's nothing to show for it. I like to learn something, help someone, or get some work done on one of my many projects during the innumerable hours I'm on my computer.

I'm sorry for my tone earlier. What you do with your time is your business.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Some time around the middle of high school (5ish years ago scary :eek:) I transitioned from chasing zombies on the computer after school every day to chasing girls after school every day. Definite positive outcome for my life. :p

Only unfortunate side of that is that macrumors has essentially been relegated to vacations when I'm home from college and bored...