HELP! What Format to export iMovie project for Big Screen @ MSG in NYC? URGENT

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kifried, Oct 4, 2007.

1. kifried macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm running iMovie v6.0.3 in a 2005 Powerbook G4. I recently made a 41 second video that has both video from my portable video camera and still images. I exported the video in CD-Rom settings the first time and put it on youtube. It was for a contest in which I was selected as a finalist. My video will be played on the Big Screen at Madison Square Garden next week at a NY Knicks Exhibition game. I was told to export it in the highest quality possible that way there won't be issues with losing resolution on such a biggggg screen. If the resolution is poor they will not play the video.

I'm really confused and not sure what format, size, fps, etc I should be using to really max out this video...If anyone could help me I would really really appreciate it. Keep in mind this is the Big Screen at MSG in NYC so it needs to be super high quality. I also have a DVD burner so not a problem.
    Thanks in advance, Ken

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well if you are burning a DVD using iDVD then that limits your options. If you are just going to export a Quicktime video and then burn it as a data disc (video must be played from a computer) then you can keep your project in exactly the same quality as it is now.

Edit : That is assuming they have a computer of some sort hooked up to the screen.

3. kifried thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I used iDVD to make a dvd but it's poor quality. I want to also send them a quicktime file on a cd that they can use if they have a computer, so what would be the best format/compression options to send them?

4. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Was it made in High Definition ?

What was the original resolution?

5. kifried thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm

I'm honestly not sure. I used a $300 JVC mini DV camcorder that I got at Sam's Club. the pictures were taken on my Nikon D50.

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The best quality.RAW quality setting you will get from that JVC I think is 480i.Is it a wide-screen camera?

7. kifried thread starter macrumors newbie

8. huntercr macrumors 65816

Ask them if they'll support NTSC DV video. Tell them you are wanting to give them a DV video stream on a DVD-R or CD-R and make sure that will me acceptable.

If so, simply export the file from iMovie using "expert settings"

then select "Export: Movie To DV Stream " and click on options.

Select the following:

DV format: DV
    video format:NTSC
    scan mode: interlaced
    Aspect Ratio 4:3
    Audio format 48KHz.

After the file renders on your harddrive, click on it and see if it will play through quicktime. It should play fine.

OK now, if this is a 41 second spot it should be less than 150MB.

If they say "no" to DV, ask them what formats they can take. If you speak to one of the people actually in charge of displaying the thing, they'll know what you should give them.

9. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge