Help! What is best for gamig?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Popis1991, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Popis1991 macrumors member

Hey guys!
    iv been searching around but i can't seem to find any good answers.
    My question is:
    Will the standard 27"iMac be enough for playing the newer games like CoD 3, Battlefield 3 and others? Will the AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512 MB be enough for my gaming needs? our should i spend extra money on the AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1 GB. Im from sweden so the price difference is about 400 dollars. So my question, is it worth it?

Thanks for all the answers!!! :D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you want to play high-end games and money is an issue, why are you even considering a Mac in the first place? Build your own gaming PC for the same price.

3. Popis1991 thread starter macrumors member

Because i don't want a PC, i switched to mac about 2 years ago and iv never been happier! So i want the iMac because it's a mac :p i do a lot of work with design, and accounting and i could not be happier with the way mac handles those kinds of things, so I'm going to stay with a mac, but i want to be able to play games too, that's the ONLY thing i miss with PC, and my MBP does not cut it. So will the 27" iMac with 512mb be enough?

4. leman macrumors 604

If you want to play games, get the 6970M, it is MUCH faster than the 6770M. Even than you will probably need to reduce the resolution for future titles. For reference, it runs Deus Ex 3 on native resolution and decent settings (medium/high) just fine.

5. EricT43 macrumors regular

Definitely get the 6970M. Gaming on a Mac is something of a compromise, but short of getting a Mac Pro, I think the iMac with the 6970 is the only reasonable option.

I don't play FPS games, but I can tell you that StarCraft II and WoW run well on mine, medium settings in WoW and high settings in SC2. The thing about the 27" is the very high resolution, it almost puts it at a disadvantage for gaming. If they offered the 21.5" with the 6970M, that would be the way to go, with an external monitor for work.

6. colinwil macrumors regular

Medium settings for WoW? I have it on Ultra with 4x oversampling, native resolution & still runs nice & smooth on my 3.1ghz 15 2011 27" iMac (with the 6970M ofc). Get between 30-50 something fps