HELP! Where to start?

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,703
2
OK, I want a website for business. I want it in my name. I don't expect a huge need for lots of bandwidth (though growth is possible).

I have no idea how to start, from registering the domains, to using my own computer as the site or another, or a 3rd party like asmallorange.

Would a 3rd party have templates, or should I get software to design the pages? should I contract the site out? should I keep asking questions? :p

I have never done anything beyond .mac homepage mickeymouse work, but with guidance could do something pretty well.

I could use some good advice for a novice.
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,406
489
NorCal
This thread may be of some use to you.

Do you have any domain names you would like? You can check at GoDaddy.com (course you don't have to use GoDaddy to register a domain name) to check if your desired URL is available as well as the extension/suffix (ie: .com, .net, .org, etc).
 

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,703
2
Thanks, while that was some good background info, I guess I need to ask more questions.

What is a good yet inexpensive turnkey ISP? I mean turnkey like they have tons of templates I can manipulate, they can reg my domain names, and offer enough bandwidth to take care of a start up nothing site, I will not sell anything from this site, it will be more info about me and what I do.

I want to "Brand" myself so to speak.

I will offer links and post testimonials or recommendations from others.

I want to keep this inexpensive, but not afraid to spend where it needs spending.

Should I use a .biz domain?
 

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
OK, Easy ones first.

Don't host it on your Mac. You probably don't have a static IP address from your ISP and you really don't want the hassle of keeping it running if you are going to be working crazy hours and out of town on business.

You need to investigate Web hosts, to see what plans they have to offer you. Templates, pre-made gadgets, and a content management program (where you can update your pages just by logging in with a Web browser) might all be things that would make it easier for you. You'll find dozens of hosts advertising in the back section of computer magazines.

Consider hiring someone to do the initial setup. A website that an amateur builds, even if they work really hard at it, will still look like a good but amateur website. A graphic designer with website experience can bring your site's visual appeal head and shoulders above the standard Template driven or standard-issue site.

Find out what your employer's policy is on external websites -- often, a company will want to enforce standards of graphic design, security, product information and claims, copyright and legal information. Having an outside website representing their products could create a risk or liability situation for the company. They may already have a means to allow their sales reps to maintain contact pages on the corporate site.

If this is not for the medical equipment business, find out what your employer's policy is on moonlighting....


Avoid the .biz domain like the plague -- it is the TLD of choice for scammers and offshore frauds.
 

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,703
2
CanadaRAM said:
Find out what your employer's policy is on external websites -- often, a company will want to enforce standards of graphic design, security, product information and claims, copyright and legal information. Having an outside website representing their products could create a risk or liability situation for the company. They may already have a means to allow their sales reps to maintain contact pages on the corporate site.
Thanks for the nix on .biz!

And I plan on involving my employer before making any final move. I would like to have a site ready to switch on, and for them to see prior to switching it on.

I have read some threads where some like asmallorange.com is that a fairly good place? should I register my names through or with their help? I can find a good web person or two to do the work for me, incase they are end up being friends willing to do it cheap, how much would the work normally cost (avg type work) so I can pay them what they deserve?
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,406
489
NorCal
Registering domain name

When I was where your at now, someone told me to register a domain name from other than your web host. The reason they gave is that they won't have control over your domain name or do any monkey business with it. Not saying that's true or false, but that's what I was told once.

Also what would happen if you did register your domain name with your webhost but then later decided to change host. Could you point that domain to other host like you can at GoDaddy? Or are you stuck with that webhost?
 

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
1,526
0
Long Beach, California
tech4all said:
When I was where your at now, someone told me to register a domain name from other than your web host. The reason they gave is that they won't have control over your domain name or do any monkey business with it. Not saying that's true or false, but that's what I was told once.

Also what would happen if you did register your domain name with your webhost but then later decided to change host. Could you point that domain to other host like you can at GoDaddy? Or are you stuck with that webhost?
For ASO, they don't mess with the domain, and after (I think) 60 days you can have it transferred to a different registrar if you want to change web hosts, or you simply don't want ASO to have it. I'm unsure about the policy for other hosting companies.

ASO might make the most sense because they're one of the easiest hosts to work with. No joke: I've had problems that I've labeled as urgent and sent to them through the support system and they've responded within ten minutes. Talk about service.

Anyway, there's plenty of other great hosts out there, and you'll want to look for one with PHP and MySQL, CPanel, and a good ratio between storage and bandwidth.

There's threads about payments, and it really depends on the amount of work they do: graphics, code, backend content system, etc. Hope things start falling into place for you. :)
-Chase
 

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
2,265
0
rendezvouscp said:
For ASO, they don't mess with the domain, and after (I think) 60 days you can have it transferred to a different registrar if you want to change web hosts, or you simply don't want ASO to have it. I'm unsure about the policy for other hosting companies.

ASO might make the most sense because they're one of the easiest hosts to work with. No joke: I've had problems that I've labeled as urgent and sent to them through the support system and they've responded within ten minutes. Talk about service.

Anyway, there's plenty of other great hosts out there, and you'll want to look for one with PHP and MySQL, CPanel, and a good ratio between storage and bandwidth.

There's threads about payments, and it really depends on the amount of work they do: graphics, code, backend content system, etc. Hope things start falling into place for you. :)
-Chase
I had 7 minutes of time from my email to their answer when I asked for help. And it was not urgent.

As for you stu, I might suggest registering your domain thru Domain Site (very cheap domains), and buying the tiny or small package thru ASO. To get the domain to work with ASO, just make sure that you point the name servers for the domain that you bought to ns1.asmallorange.com and ns2.asmallorange. The name servers part will be the biggest issue if you intend on purchasing your domain and your hosting package from different people.
 

paddymacdaddy

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2005
6
0
See I told you people crave this stuff

I had posted a thread last week andeveryone got all over me thinking I was spamming. I'm glad you asked this question to show that there really is a need for small business websites.

I had recommended www.macwebsitebuilder.com

There's no limit on the bandwidth for you and I'm not sure if they offer domain names, you could always grab one from godaddy.com
 

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
2,703
2
paddymacdaddy said:
I had posted a thread last week andeveryone got all over me thinking I was spamming. I'm glad you asked this question to show that there really is a need for small business websites.

I had recommended www.macwebsitebuilder.com

There's no limit on the bandwidth for you and I'm not sure if they offer domain names, you could always grab one from godaddy.com
You are spamming, :p , I had already read your thread, visited the site, and read the material there!

I searched the forums and read threads prior to asking for help, none seemed to answer all my questions well enough.

But thanks for trying to help!
 

paddymacdaddy

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2005
6
0
Not spamming, you requested advice, I simply provided it to you. After that it's your judgement whether or not to use it.

Thanks :)
 

marvink

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2005
1
0
mac web builder

I think the best way to find a good web site builder is to just go to Google, Yahoo and MSN and do a search for "Mac web builder" or something like that. There doesn't seem to be much out there that's just for Mac. What else is new. :rolleyes: -- but without mentioning names of providers if that's frowned upon here, I personally had some luck with Google searching on the subject to find a good online program that enabled me to get a website for my business.
 

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
746
0
DC area
stubeeef said:
I can find a good web person or two to do the work for me, incase they are end up being friends willing to do it cheap, how much would the work normally cost (avg type work) so I can pay them what they deserve?
Difficult question to answer, as it depends on several factors: their level and area of expertise, the area you live in, and how complicated the site is.

I've seen trends going towards "packages" for initial setup of a site then a maintenance fee afterwards, and some people still stick with a flat rate per hour. Personally, most of the time I charge $30/hour, but that's the same rate I've been charging since 1998, and even then it was about half the going rate in that area. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you what the going rate is now (it could have crashed with the dotcom bubble burst, for all I know)... People still seem to be willing to pay the $30/hr though.