HELP whether to buy the New pro or not?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OrionsTrident, Jun 9, 2009.

1. OrionsTrident macrumors newbie

OrionsTrident

Okay so here is my situation next year i will be a student at penn state and engineering department requires and external firewire and the more powerfull 9600 with 256. So on friday as a graduation present i went out and bought a unibody macbook pro 250gb har drive 2.4ghz the 15inch one everything is as is right now but i am going to upgrade the ram myself. now on monday i sat and watched them release the new macbook pros my question is should i spend the 230 dollars to return mine and buy the new one.. is it that much better it is .26 Ghz faster and will alreasy have the 2gbram upgraded with a better battery and what is the difference in the screen. i am not that worried abotu the money but if it isnt worth spending it should i?

your help will be greatly appreciated

James

2. jay1118 macrumors member

jay1118

I would definitely buy the new ones.....JMO though

3. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

The .26GHz is negligible.

About the ram.. your model can only go up to 4GB.. so if you ever wanted more than that, you'd be out of luck.

So, if you're planning to upgrade to more than 4GB of ram, get the new one. If 4GB is all you need, keep the one you have.

The battery is advertised to last 7 hours. It will not last that long, especially on the 9600. My old one has lasted up to 5 hours on the 9400 so it's really not that bad.

The old model has a really good screen already and you probably don't need the new one unless you're doing color critical work. But for that, an external monitor would be the best solution.

So if you want more than 4GB of ram, get the new one. Otherwise, stick with the one you have and upgrade to 4GB yourself.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I would MUCH rather have the previous generation MBP than the one released yesterday. The new ones are maybe slightly faster -- we are talking a few seconds but offer much less utility w/ no removable battery or ExpressCard slot.

The battery in the new MBPs may last 5 years, but since these batteries were not around 5 years ago who really knows if they can hold or if its marketing hype. In an emergency its a lot easier to run down to the store and pick up a battery or express one from an online store than have to send your entire machine back.

As for the ExpressCard slot -- maybe you'll use it, maybe not. But it's nice to know it's there if you want to add a mobile data card or something.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Not worth the upgrade. Stick with what you've got for another few years.

6. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

I'm in almost the exact same boat. If I can return mine without the restock fee, I will. If not, I'll keep it. I'm going to try to get them to ditch the restock fee because my MBP clicks. It has a very high pitched, VERY irritating clicking noise

7. OrionsTrident thread starter macrumors newbie

OrionsTrident

yeh i mean the upgrade to 8gb is around $750 dollars so that a little crazy but i mean if i can get the swap out for free will it then be worth it its a faster machine for the same price and i am not sure how often i will use the express card... this is a tough decision and in the new ones will you be able to upgrade the harddrive?