Other Help! Which iPhone should I get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bryanc28, Mar 19, 2018.

1. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Looking for some input here. My birthday is tomorrow and I am going to actually upgrade my iPhone 5s. I am torn about the next phone I get. I love the 7/7 Plus as well as the 8/8 Plus. So I have to figure out which one of the 4 it will be. Any pros and cons of the 7 line versus the 8 line? Is having the latest and greatest the way to go? I am not interested in the X.

2. now i see it macrumors 68030

The 8 is a little better than the 7 and costs a bit more too. It will tolerate future iOS upgrades more gracefully than the 7 because it's faster - if you're not into flipping phones every 2 years.
    If the price of the 8 doesn't put you off, get that one.

3. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

It seems like you hold on to your iPhone's a bit. Get the 8/8 Plus. The phone is quicker than the 7, improved camera, and the wireless charging is a cool feature which is blowing up in 2018.

4. jeyf macrumors 6502a

i just bought a 7 and it works well. The camera sticks out on the back but i use a case so no big.
    -i buy a new iphone when you cant install the latest ios into the old. So for me; a phone costs so much and will last so many years. Cost per year
    -i am thinking the 7 is close to the 8 design. The camera is the main difference?
    -What are your plans for 5G when it comes out in 2-3 years

5. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

Considering you kept the 5s this long. I would go for the newest iPhone 8/8+ you’ll have to decide if you want a bigger phone or not. It’s hard for someone to chose for you on that because we don’t know if you would rather have a bigger phone or smaller one.

6. bryanc28 thread starter macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Thanks for the input. I'll focus on getting the 8/8+. It will last me longer. Now to decide to get either the smaller one or the huge one.

7. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

I vote space grey in color.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

For me, I like the iPhone 8 Plus size, because you do get the 1080 P display, larger battery which I find a significant and the dual camera with the digital zoom. Those three features alone are selling points for me, but if you can live with the 5.5 size, I think you would be satisfied. Otherwise I do like the 4.7 iPhone 8, as it is very comfortable holding in the hand, but it does not nearly have the battery life the Plus model does.

9. Crow_Servo macrumors regular

Crow_Servo

If you like putting it in your pocket and/or like to use the phone one-handed, I vote 8. If that’s not a concern, I vote 8 Plus. The larger screen is really nice, but it’s a little more awkward in your hand IMO. I went from a regular 5 to a 6s Plus and plan to get this year’s 6.5” phone most likely, so I’m a Plus guy.

10. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

If you’re considering the 8 and 8+, then get the 8+. Very much worth the extra 100 dollars over the 8. More RAM, bigger display, better camera.

11. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Ultimately the decision is yours. You need to get what works best for you. My recommendation is to go for the 8 series, I can honestly say I love my 8 Plus a lot more than I ever thought I would! It's definitely my favorite phone so far. Coming from a 7 Plus I didn't think it would be worth the upgrade, but I'm very pleased. I would definitely recommend the 8 Plus if you don't mind a big phone, or the 8 which is a great phone if you like smaller phones. Either way I always say to go for the newest phone out at the time, especially if you're a person who holds on to a phone a while. Sounds like you are coming from a 5s. Anyway just my .02

12. rmoliv macrumors 6502a

Get the 8+. The portrait mode and lighting are major features and the 8 doesn't have them.

13. apolloa, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018

apolloa macrumors G4

It’s really only a decision you can make I’m afraid, because your the person that’s going to live with it. Go and try both in a store for sure.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Those are nice features for the iPhone 8 Plus camera, but I don’t think they are major, I think the dual camera in general is considerable though. I think the major reasons why somebody would consider the iPhone 8 Plus is simply the larger display and battery life.