Help: Which MBP to get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drog, Feb 26, 2008.

1. drog macrumors newbie

Hey fellas... been lurking around here for awhile waiting for this update and decided to sign up and ask you guys for some help! I'm debating between the base and middle options. If I get the base, i'd upgrade the ram bringing it to a similar price as the middle MBP. In all honesty, all I really use my laptop for is internet, word processing, itunes and downloading movies, so a macbook would be more than sufficient for my needs, but I've had my 12' Powerbook for 3 years and would prefer to stick with this line (not a real big fan of hte other keyboard either)... so for my needs, is upgrading the RAM or getting the better video card (512 instead of 256) the better option?

Also, is there any chance these bad boys are in store today or should I just order online??

Thanks in advance!!!

Edit: Is the 7200rpm hard drive option worth it as well (thought I read somewhere that there was heat issues at that level???)-- sorry if these are stupid questions, not a techie guy hah

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Base model Macbook would satisfy your needs. Only people that would require the higher video ram would be Gamers and Video Editing. More Ram doesn't mean faster or better video card. A lot of people have that misconception.

3. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The base model really seems to be the deal here.

4. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Get the base model, then if you are comfortable with it buy 4gb of RAM from a 3rd party and install yourself.. you can find 4gb for $80 rather than the $400 apple charges. Better than the $700 last revision at least :rolleyes:

5. drog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot guys!!

Any idea on whether or not they will be in the store today or would I be wasting my time driving there?

6. hoops10 macrumors newbie

If using the MBP to import home videos and make dvds, would the base level MBP work or would I need the mid range one?