HELP! Which new iMac is right for me? Really appreciate any input!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ajbdptatc, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ajbdptatc macrumors newbie

I am a newbie here and also a newbie to the iMac.

I am set on the 21.5" display but not sure about which model (base vs. higher end), which processor (i5 vs i7), how much RAM (8 vs. 16), and whether or not I should pay to upgrade to the fusion drive.

I will be using the iMac for picture and video storage, mainly. I don't need anything crazy, just some basic editing to crop photos, make them black and white, very basic things. I have talked to two friends who both work with computers...of course one said go all in and the other said I didn't need all the extras...so I'm turning it over to the MacRumors masses now...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. jonnyc macrumors newbie

Personally, I would choose the fusion drive as minimum ($1749 US)

8GB of RAM should do you fine for now, but the issue is not being able to upgrade in future without taking the whole thing apart.

For an extra $300, you could get the same spec'd 27" (i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion), but with the easier ability to upgrade the RAM later down the track.

Not that I know your budget or anything, but I just couldnt go past the 27" screen...

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

27" sounds most ideal.

I'm feeling a Ruben is also a good lunch choice.

4. motrek macrumors 68020

Get the cheapest possible iMac with no upgrades and you will love it. It will store and crop the s*** out of your photos.

It is a common marketing/business practice to offer consumers a choice between low/high or low/middle/high because they think people will avoid the low end model simply because they consider it an insult to their ego and self-worth, regardless of whether or not it's a suitable choice for their needs.

The cheapest possible iMac is better than the best possible iMac from a few years ago, and people were using (and are still using) those iMacs no problem, so no need to feel guilty somehow about going cheap.

5. mihai.ile macrumors member

For this kind of use I would also recommend the base version of either 21.5 or 27 depending on your screen preference. If some two years from now you find that it is not fast enough just sell it and buy another one without loosing too much actually.

6. medi.freak macrumors regular

I agree with everyone recommending the base models... I have comparable needs to my computers like you, and I went for the base 27" model, except adding the Fusion Drive. I knew I don't absolutely NEED the SSD speeds, but it is still nice to have it.

So go with the base model I say. If you have the money, add the Fusion Drive, or go with the 3TB HDD option, depending on how much you need to store or how fast you want your iMac to boot =P

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Can you afford the extra $$$ for the 27"?

If so choose that one, and proceed from there.

Aside: I was not impressed with the new line of iMacs -- UNTIL I stopped by the Apple Store and saw one on display (base model 27"). VERY nice computer. The mid-level or high-end 27" models must be very snazzy, indeed.