HELP! Which new or old MacbookPro 15" B4 I buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deafanimator, Oct 30, 2008.

1. deafanimator macrumors member

Having a hard time to decide which I should get Macbook Pro.. Now clearance I can get low as $1600 previous Macbook Pro 15" 2.5ghz with 512MB video card or New Mac 2.4ghz with 256mb video card. I will be heavy editing HD.. which is pro and con? I know the big difference the money and speed.

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

If you don't care about the new case design, the better port layout, etc (the minor cosmetic upgrades), then certainly save money and get the previous. Put the money into RAM and HD.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I bought the legacy model you are talking about it. I love the machine. I am not as fond of Leopard as I thought I would be (coming from a Tiger based PowerBook), but this machine is fast.

Checkout Barefeats for some comparisons they did between the legacy and 2.8Ghz new model, you will see that the performance differences are around 10% compared to the fastest new model.

So in your case, the legacy 2.5 will probably match the speed of the new 2.4 MBP. And by saving close to $400, the legacy would be better bang for the buck.

You will be using an external drive to edit anyways, so the internal 250GB should be sufficient storage. Buy more RAM to go up to 4GB.