Help, which one's worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevebob206, Dec 1, 2007.

1. stevebob206 macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm thinking about buying a used Black macbook from January with 2.0ghz dual 2 core, 120gb hard drive, 1GB of ram (I'm going to upgrade to 2) for $850 (which is somewhat of a steal)

But, I can ONLY go up to 2gigs of ram. not 4.

but most importantly, there is the GMA 950 graphics card, is the X3100 really so great?

Great enough for me to spend almost double for it? 1,500.

please respond!
    thanks!

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

why would you buy the older MB?? when you could buy the new MB for not much more, has the X3100 and up to (and above) 4gb RAM.

personally id just buy a newer one, although im not sure of your financial status.:confused:

3. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

Its a steal, (the 850 price)!!! As for the X3100 it is much better depending what line of work your in, however assuming your a graphic designer it's probably an ok move. I have a MacBook as well and it runs really well, I purchased it reconditioned for 1000 something. I'm not the best on the graphic card subject matter. Wait for more responses lol.:apple:

Good luck mate!

viva la apple

4. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Get the older one. The processor, RAM, and graphics don't matter unless you plan on playing games and/or editing video. Plus it's a great price, meaning you can get a new one $800 sooner.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP, what are you going to be using this macbook for? It sounds to me like you're really just lusting for that sexy black finish:p (not that there's anything wrong with that;):D).

If your usage is just office apps, Safari, Mail, iTunes, iPhoto and other lower-powered programs, then I say go the refurb route and get yourself a C2D blackbook. I know that sounds bizarre, but the CDs were hotter machines (even when only the most basic of tasks was being performed). Plus the C2Ds will give you better battery life. $1250 isn't as much of a "steal" as $850, but I think it's a better quality machine.

Then again, you could abandon black and get a white C2D for only $1050. Now there's a good deal.

6. stevebob206 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the $850 Black Macbook I might buy is a Core 2 Duo. The only thing I'm worried about is the GMA 950....

I am kinda planning on editing video. And I did want to try and attempt playing games on it. But I'm really not into games.

But what I'd mostly be running is itunes, safari, office, and stuff like that.

So I dunno, I would think the $850 one is a better deal.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I see that that was in your OP:eek:

Go for the $850 one. If cash is a tad tight, it's definitely the better deal. With the $700 savings, you'll be able to get a new macbook (or whatever computer is next for you) much sooner than if you bought a slightly faster one for $1500.

8. Matek macrumors 6502a

The new graphics card is almost the same. It has some cool tricks on paper, but hasn't shown any real-world awsomeness, so I wouldn't worry about that. They are both almost equally inappropriate for gaming, although your video editing performance of course won't be affected.

For that amount of saved cash, I'd go with the $850 one. The slightly better gfx card & cpu and 4gb ram support are definitely not worth 600 dollars :D.