Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Croker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Hello!

I've been thrown into a little bit of a tailspin regarding which rMBP to buy following today's updates, so perhaps someone here can help.

I'm moving from a pretty old Mac Mini (which I've loved having but is showing it's age). I want the laptop largely because I'm moving overseas and want something portable, and I also want to be able to play Wasteland 2 at a speed that doesn't resemble watching hand-drawn animation :D

As such, it was my original intention to buy the 15" rMBP with 16GB RAM and 256GB hard drive. This is a bit smaller hard-drive than I wanted (my Mac Mini had 320GB), but I was willing to live with it.

However, I've realised that I can get the new 13" rMBP with 16GB RAM and 512GB hard drive for less than the 15" rMBP (I get the student discount, so there's not a huge price differential between the two).

I'm not necessarily worried about screen size, but obviously the 15" comes with Iris Pro, rather than the new Iris 6100. I know there are no benchmarks available yet but I'd be surprised if the Iris 6100 isn't at least better than the original Iris.

So, would the new 13" rMBP do me okay for browsing, playing video, and playing Wasteland 2 in something other than jerk-o-vision? Or should I go for the 15" rMBP instead?

Any advice gratefully received!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hello!

I've been thrown into a little bit of a tailspin regarding which rMBP to buy following today's updates, so perhaps someone here can help.

I'm moving from a pretty old Mac Mini (which I've loved having but is showing it's age). I want the laptop largely because I'm moving overseas and want something portable, and I also want to be able to play Wasteland 2 at a speed that doesn't resemble watching hand-drawn animation :D

As such, it was my original intention to buy the 15" rMBP with 16GB RAM and 256GB hard drive. This is a bit smaller hard-drive than I wanted (my Mac Mini had 320GB), but I was willing to live with it.

However, I've realised that I can get the new 13" rMBP with 16GB RAM and 512GB hard drive for less than the 15" rMBP (I get the student discount, so there's not a huge price differential between the two).

I'm not necessarily worried about screen size, but obviously the 15" comes with Iris Pro, rather than the new Iris 6100. I know there are no benchmarks available yet but I'd be surprised if the Iris 6100 isn't at least better than the original Iris.

So, would the new 13" rMBP do me okay for browsing, playing video, and playing Wasteland 2 in something other than jerk-o-vision? Or should I go for the 15" rMBP instead?

Any advice gratefully received!
The Iris Pro is still more powerful than the Iris 6100, because the Iris Pro has the eDRAM cache.

The new 13" rMBP should do you fine, but I'd go for the 15" just for Iris Pro and the screen size. We won't know how close to the Iris Pro the 6100 will be, so I'd wait for benchmarks.

Croker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
The Iris Pro is still more powerful than the Iris 6100, because the Iris Pro has the eDRAM cache.

The new 13" rMBP should do you fine, but I'd go for the 15" just for Iris Pro and the screen size. We won't know how close to the Iris Pro the 6100 will be, so I'd wait for benchmarks.

Thanks for your input (and if I'm not mistaken you're the same poster who gave me good advice regarding changing power cables when overseas, a few days back, so double-thanks!).

I've given it some thought and I've decided to go for the 13" - I need the hard-drive space, if I'm honest, and I've learned that inXile are doing an Xbox One version of Wasteland 2 which I can buy if things don't work out :D

Going up to 512GB hard-drive on the 15" would take me over budget, and whilst I don't mind the idea of a bigger screen, it really isn't a deal-breaker for me. As such, I'll take the newest 13" model, with its larger hard-drive, and hope I can get Wasteland 2 to run on it acceptably.

Thanks again!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks for your input (and if I'm not mistaken you're the same poster who gave me good advice regarding changing power cables when overseas, a few days back, so double-thanks!).

I've given it some thought and I've decided to go for the 13" - I need the hard-drive space, if I'm honest, and I've learned that inXile are doing an Xbox One version of Wasteland 2 which I can buy if things don't work out :D

Going up to 512GB hard-drive on the 15" would take me over budget, and whilst I don't mind the idea of a bigger screen, it really isn't a deal-breaker for me. As such, I'll take the newest 13" model, with its larger hard-drive, and hope I can get Wasteland 2 to run on it acceptably.

Thanks again!

Wasteland 2 will play at around 40fps on the Haswell 13 inch pros so you should be good...

But if you want a 15 inch look at the refurbished store.

Croker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Wasteland 2 will play at around 40fps on the Haswell 13 inch pros so you should be good...

But if you want a 15 inch look at the refurbished store.

Really? Fantastic! :D

I did take a look at the refurbished store (in the UK I should add) and they actually had very little in the way of rMBPs, at 13" or 15". The only 15" there had 8GB RAM, so that was a non-starter for me, really.

I've taken the plunge with the 13" now anyway, so hopefully all will be well. It's due to arrive next week. I can't wait.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.