Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
I have a HP Photosmart C4680 and my mac does not recognize this printer when its plugged in i cant add it to my list of printers.

here is what happened:

initially everything was fine but then for some reason the printer went offline.

i turned off the printer unplugged the usb cord. turned the printer back on let it load and then i re-connected the USB cord & after i did this my mac would recognize the printer and let me add it to the computer under the print & fax settings..

then the printer went offline again after printing several things and now doing the whole power cycle thing proves to be ineffective.

now im stuck with a printer that will scan but wont print.

please help

how can i get my mac to recognize the printer again?

i even tried running the hp installer dmg file but when i get to the 3rd or 4th step it tells me that it cant find a printer...

Helpppp

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
From the Apple in the top-left corner, select About this Mac, then click on the More Info... button. When the System Profiler comes up, select the USB section in the left hand side and expand all the options. If the printer shows in there it's most likely a software issue. Otherwise it could be hardware.

omeletpants

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2005
As long as we are talking printers, since I upgraded to Snow Leopard it takes about 45 seconds for my printer to start printing.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
As long as we are talking printers, since I upgraded to Snow Leopard it takes about 45 seconds for my printer to start printing.
Possibly some leftover preference files. Go into your home folder's Library/Preferences directory and move all the com.apple.print.* files out of it. Log out then back in and re-add the printer.

Also make sure you have the latest printer drivers installed. Apple put bundled updates on their website, but the manufacturers also post updates for particular models on their own sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.