HELP: Why Is My Macbook Pro Doing These Weird Things?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by magentawave, Aug 21, 2009.

1. magentawave macrumors regular

Hi,

You can see what kind of Mac I have at the bottom and I was wondering why it does these things...

1) Why does my Macbook Pro feel warm when I close the lid? Is it okay that it feels warm?

2) I use a Canon Pixma MP530 printer and I'm not offered the option to print draft quality like I used to be able to do with the same printer on an HP laptop. Anyone know how I can change that? I don't see options for it anywhere. Is there a printer utility I should get?

3) When my Macbook Pro's lid is closed I am assuming it goes to sleep. However, I can hear my cd/dvd drive clicking away once in a while when the lid is closed (and there is cd or dvd in the drive). Is it because I need to change some settings in the System Preferences? If so, what settings? I looked and couldn't find anywhere to change what the computer does when I close the lid.

4) Is it bad to keep it plugged into the AC charger all the time - even when the battery is fully charged? Apparently that would kill the battery in the HP laptop that I used to have. What about Macs?

5) Does this Macbook Pro have some kind reserve power where I can change out the battery to a spare battery while the computer is still running? Or do I have to shut the computer down to change the battery? This model has the removable battery.

Thank you.

Steve

2. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

1) It will get warm, sometimes very warm, depending on what you are doing.

2) Sorry can't help

3) It should go to sleep, if it doesn't I am not sure why not

4) I keep mine plugged in 80% of the time, there's nothing wrong with that

5) there's no reserve power, so if the battery comes out poof... though I'm not sure, it may actually go into a hibernate like mode.... cannot pull out my battery in my Macbook pro :(

3. magentawave thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input!

Steve